Change

Something Minho hadn't done since he was young was acting like he was sick to get out of lessons and any other duties his father saw fit to drop on his shoulders. And he did that again for the first time in years, all because he didn't catch a wink of sleep, having returned to the Moon Palace with Seungmin just before dawn. He felt childish selling a fake illness, but once he was left alone he fell asleep within minutes.

Chan was the one to wake him later that evening, warning Minho that the Sun Queen wished to see him. Being summoned by his mother always meant something was happening, that something was changing, but he was too tired to worry much about it as he threw on some clothes and attempted to make himself presentable.

The evening sun was glowing a vibrant orange throughout the castle, reflecting much too brightly in Minho's exhausted eyes. He decided to keep his gaze low to spare his vision at least a little. Chan asked if he was alright a few times, but he brushed it off every time. His bodyguard was the only other one that knew of his mission last night, so he was the only one that understood his state.

Minho never thought he would be grateful for a bodyguard, but Chan had managed to gain his trust and favor in record time. In fact, he was one of the first ones to agree with Minho's plan moving forward, and having that extra support was vital.

Three figures suddenly appeared in the corridor in front of them, and Minho's body went utterly rigid. The Moon King was walking with one of his advisors, trailed closely by his own bodyguard, and he smiled upon seeing Minho.

"Ah, Prince Minho. I heard you weren't feeling well, but it seems you've managed to find your way to your feet."

The edge of Minho's vision was fuzzy, white-hot rage bubbling up in his chest and filling his lungs. All he could see was the king standing over Jisung's beaten body. Had he smiled at the sight of his son bleeding out below him? "I'm doing better, yes," he managed, jaw aching from how hard he was clenching it. 

"Good, I'm glad. The future king must have the will to work no matter how he is feeling."

Minho's hand itched to reach for his sword, to decapitate the man standing a few feet in front of him. He quickly clasped his hands behind his back. "Yes, I understand. I'm actually on my way to see the Queen of the Sun, but it was good to see you, Your Majesty." He dipped his head and moved to pass them.

The Moon King's hand suddenly landed on Minho's shoulder, stopping him cold. "By the way, I heard my son was bothering you. I apologize for that, and I'm working to improve his behavior."

It took every drop of strength in Minho's body to keep himself from breaking the king's arm and throwing him through the nearest window. "It wasn't a bother at all." The words were polite, but they were filled with venom. "If you'll excuse me, Your Majesty." He walked away, limbs shaky, spine stiff.

It wasn't until a few corridors later that Minho allowed himself to lash out. He turned down a small servant hall, and with a growl of anger and frustration his fist flew into the wall. The rough surface cut into his skin harshly and cracked his bones, but the pain shot through the cloud of anger in his head and gave him room to see and think more clearly. He blew out a long breath, trying to calm his racing heart and douse the fire in his lungs.

What he wouldn't give to see the Moon King fall bruised and bloodied with his crown and title ripped away.

"Your Highness," Chan's voice was quiet among his roaring thoughts.

Minho pulled back from the wall, taking another deep breath. "I'm alright. I don't know if I've ever felt such... anger before. I apologize."

Chan didn't respond for a moment. "I understand, I really do. We should get your hand taken care of before you see the queen."