Which to rule the sky?

Minho couldn't take his eyes off the Moon Prince under him, holding his breath after asking such a question. "May I call you by your name?"

The moonlight was beginning to catch onto the silver glimmer along Jisung's cheekbones as he visibly processed the question. "You mean to call me... Jisung?"

"If you're comfortable, I would like us to drop the titles. At least around each other." Minho's heart was beating so rapidly he wondered if Jisung could hear it.

Jisung's chest heaved slightly and he pulled his wrists free, quickly getting to his feet once Minho moved out of the way. "I'm not sure we've reached that point yet," he said, grabbing his dagger and knife from where he set them off to the side. "I don't think it would be a good idea either."

Minho wiped the sweat on his brow, rocking back on his heels from where he was crouched on the floor. "Why not?"

Jisung sheathed his dagger at the base of his spine with a snap. "Because... it just isn't... a good idea."

"What's wrong with it?" Minho asked, feeling a fire ignite in his chest. He got to his feet, drawing closer to the other prince.

"It would mean we've gotten too close." Jisung's eyes widened a fraction at the slight raise in his own voice. He backed toward the doors. "I'm sorry, I-"

"Wait," Minho caught his hand, stopping him gently. Jisung's eyes were well disguised as always, but he caught a glimpse of fear in them, and it made his stomach twist with concern. "Do not apologize for your own feelings. I understand if you don't want me to refer to you informally."

Jisung pulled away, putting more distance between them. "It's not that, we just... can't. Calling one another by our first names will cross a line that isn't wise to cross."

Minho wanted nothing more than to find out the reason behind the fear in Jisung's eyes, the reason behind the uncertainty and nervousness he was feeling from such a simple request. "I don't understand why we can't do that, but I will respect whatever you wish. I would not call you by your name around anyone, I hope you realize that."

A small, sad smile colored Jisung's lips. "Thank you. I'm just... uncertain about some things and some risks are not worth taking."

Why using their names came with a risk of any kind, Minho had no idea, but he wouldn't dare cross any lines Jisung did not want him to cross. "I understand, Your Highness."

They stared at each other for a moment, silent emotions and questions swirling in the air between them. Despite some things being left unknown, an understanding filled the space between the questions.

"Maybe one day," was written in Jisung's cold eyes. "Thank you."

Minho gave a small smile in return. "Rest well, Your Highness."

"You as well." With that and a small bow, Jisung left the room, leaving Minho hearing a strange voice in his head.

◇◇◇

"You're up fairly early, aren't you, Son?" Minho's mother commented, glancing at him over her spectacles. "I can see the gold on your cheeks, I haven't been able to see that in quite some time."

Minho suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. She always scolded him for doing that. "If you're going to have an attitude, show it respectfully like a royal should," she would say. "Well most of our schedule is filled throughout the day so this is the only time I have to speak with you," he said, still waiting to be seated.

"Your father isn't quite ready yet, but you can at least talk to me. You may have a seat." The Queen of the Sun set the book she was reading aside as her son sat on the sofa across from her. "You seem happier than I've seen you in some time. It puts my heart at ease."