Flight

Jisung found it difficult to sleep. He was often awake late into the night, but instead of finding comfort and company in the moonlight as usual, his head was so full it felt as if it might burst. Prince Minho was at the front of his mind, his golden eyes pinning him in place as he asked Jisung to come to his homeland. His disappointment with learning of Minho's departure had suddenly shifted into nervous energy, and it took him a great deal of effort to get himself back into working order.

His answer was a wobbly yes, but if his father demanded it, Jisung would more than likely remain in the Moon Lands. But he was hopeful. He wanted to go with Minho, yet his concerns surrounding the idea were loud and hard to ignore.

On one hand, Jisung felt a shy sort of apprehension. There was no denying that he was growing closer with the Prince of the Sun, and it set his mind racing and his heart reacting. If he felt this much after a few weeks, how would those feelings progress on the journey to the Sun? How would they grow during their stay? What would happen if they allowed their connection to grow?

It was all unknown and uncertain, and Jisung nearly wanted to retreat to the shadows where it was safe. His temptation to retreat would likely never leave.

On the other hand, Jisung was nervous to leave home if he was permitted to leave. He didn't know what awaited him in the Sun Lands. He wasn't sure how Minho's parents would treat him, he wasn't sure how other members of the court would judge him. 

But he was willing to look past all of these concerns for Minho.

Despite lacking sleep and rest, Jisung made his way to the throne room when he was summoned, and he hoped to see Minho there. He always hated seeing his father after receiving a beating. The king would smile and act as if everything was perfect and merry, and Jisung would remain silent, hoping to avoid the king's attention for a long while. So was it so wrong to want to see a friendly face?

As usual, Jisung's presence was left unacknowledged, and he took his seat on the dais, ignoring the way his parents were speaking to Ida and Freya. From what he could pick up, they were instructing them on how to behave while visiting the Sun Lands, and that drew his attention a little. Were his parents going to send them away without a choice of staying or leaving? If so, would he be required to leave? A glance from his father told him no.

Jisung turned his attention to the large windows to his left, watching the morning sun rise above the glass roof of the library in the distance. He instantly thought of Minho and the beautiful way the sun painted his features gold in the early morning. He really did enjoy the color of gold.

A shadow moved along the ledge near the ceiling, and Jisung noticed a lithe figure crouched high up in the corner right away. He realized it was Seungmin, and he was wondering how he managed to get up there when the Sun royalty entered the room. The few members of the Sun court that had traveled here accompanied the royals this time, trailing just behind Chan and Minho.

As the room slowly filled with court members and castle staff alike, Minho and Jisung glanced at each other once in a while, trying not to draw attention to themselves, but unable to look away fro long. And finally, the Moon King called attention forward and Jisung listened in disgust as his father went on and on about the privilege and importance of connecting with the Sun. He glossed over the lack of safety and security for Prince Minho and finally announced the departure to the Sun Lands.

Jisung realized Minho was staring directly at him as the king announced that his daughters would be leaving with them. He was so distracted by the Sun Prince, he nearly missed the king's next words.

"-but as for Prince Jisung, he will remain here to perform his duties properly and efficiently. It is regrettable, but work for the kingdom must proceed."