Eclipse

Minho squeezed Jisung's hand, his insides twisting at the terribly vacant look in the Moon Prince's eyes. They were mere footsteps from the throne room, mere steps from changing things forever in one way or another. As they approached the doors, Jisung pulled his hand away, tucking it behind his back as he stepped closer to Changbin.

Minho fought the urge to take his hand again. Facing his father was difficult enough for Jisung, he didn't need to make himself further uncomfortable by any means. So Minho was the first to take the plunge, allowing the guards stationed at the doors to open them as he walked through first.

The evening sun was brightly shining through the wide throne room, but the air might as well have come from the frozen lands of the far north. The King and Queen of the Sun were standing in front of their thrones, faces stoney while the Moon royalty stood in front of the dais off to the left. The princesses looked at Minho with uncertain eyes from where they stood behind their parents. No, it was fear, not uncertainty.

Minho kept his head held high as he stopped at the foot of the dais instead of taking his usual place beside his parents, and bowed. He could feel the Moon King's gaze, icy and sharp from the side, but he ignored it for now. Intimidation wasn't going to work on him. If anything, it made him want to kill the king even more than he already desired to.

It wasn't until after he came out of his bow again that he realized Chan was the only one standing behind him, and he glanced over his shoulder in worry. Jisung was still standing just outside the doors, seemingly frozen in his place.

The Moon King followed Minho's gaze, and his lip curled slightly as if saying, "How weak."

Minho wasn't completely sure what to do, caught between keeping Jisung comfortable and keeping the peace for as long as possible. Just as he was about to rush back, the Sun Queen stepped off the dais, striding with purpose across the room until she stopped in front of Jisung.

No one could hear what she said, but a moment later, Jisung was walking beside her, Changbin remaining glued to his side. By the time the Moon Prince reached his place to Minho's right, the Sun Prince could see the way his chest moved shallowly and abruptly. He was fighting the most powerful enemy at the moment, something that could take a hold of even the strongest people... fear.

As the Sun Queen took her place again, Minho's father began. "Welcome to the Sun Lands, King and Queen of the Moon. We apologize for the hasty welcome, we weren't expecting you."

"That's alright. Our decision to come here was... rather abrupt." The Moon King threw a brief glance at his son as he spoke, and Minho bit his tongue to keep himself in check.

"Well it all works out nonetheless," the Sun King brushed off easily, "meeting with you has become necessary, so it has saved us all some time."

"If it is of this much importance, why don't we adjourn to the council room, where meetings such as this usually take place?"

"This isn't so much as a meeting as it is an announcement," Minho's mother spoke up, nearly interrupting the northern king. "So all that are present, messengers, court members, advisors, will know exactly what is going on. Details and less significant negotiations may take place at another time."

Minho was beginning to realize his love for his parents. He wasn't sure if he had simply changed enough to notice their efforts and hearts, or if they were the ones that changed, but no matter what, he was grateful for them.

The Moon King didn't appear terribly pleased, and neither did his wife. "An announcement? Before talking things out privately?"

The Sun Queen didn't completely acknowledge the demanded question. "Over our time in the Sun Lands, we have consulted with your children about several things. One of which includes our alliance through marriage." She nodded. "Princess Ida?"