The challenge

**TW: this chapter has violence, blood and weapons are mentioned, etc. Fair warning.

A cold wind brushed over the earth and twirled in the air, sending silver hair and simple white clothes flowing this way and that. A prince stood alone, facing the restless sea and listening to the grass dance in the wind around his feet. The darkened sky stood as a warning of bad weather bearing down, and as a warning that everything was going to change. For better or for worse.

Upon returning to the City of the Sun, Prince Jisung split away from Minho, who continued on to the castle  while he came here; to a place by the sea, a place not so far from where he shared his first kiss with the Sun Prince. But he was no there to reminisce.

"So you came after all," Jisung spoke after some time, keeping his eyes on the never-ending sea laid out before him. If these were his last moments, he wanted to soak in this view for as long as possible.

"I should have known I wouldn't be rid of you so easily."

"That's precisely why I've invited you here. You personally want to see to it that I'm gone for good." Jisung finally brought himself to turn around, facing his father several feet away. "Or am I wrong?"

The Moon King chuckled, leaning on his already-drawn sword. "You've grown very bold, Jisung. I suppose that's something you learned from Prince Minho."

Jisung held onto the ice encasing his heart. "You should be more worried about what else I learned," he said, raising his dagger, eyes low and cold.

"So you escaped those criminals and made it all the way back here just for me to kill you off without anyone knowing?"

"By the laws of the continent and our gods, inflicting harm upon those descended from the Moon or the Sun is a grievous sin and a crime punishable by death."

A light scoff. "So you wish to pay me back? To get revenge? Justice?"

Jisung smiled a little, but it was icy. "I do not need revenge when I have the laws of the gods on my side. Killing a descendant results in gruesome torture and death unless a fellow descendant of the same god challenges another."

The Moon King's gaze hardened, and he straightened up. "What are you-"

"I challenge you, King of the Moon, to a fight to the death." Jisung remained where he was, eyes resolute, dagger raised. As if in answer to such words, thunder rumbled loudly in the distance.

"If you were to kill me, would that truly solve your problems? Half of my court is loyal to me and will do everything in their power to make you miserable in my stead."

"I'll handle that when the time comes." It was a partial lie, but the King didn't need to know that. Jisung's plan went far deeper than just killing his tyrant of a father. This was nothing more than a trap. One that would take the Moon King to his knees even if the Prince lost his life in the end.

"I'll give you one last chance to back down, my son."

"The challenge has been issued, there is no backing out by law of the gods." Jisung felt unsteady on his feet, his heart twisting and falling into irregular patterns, but his hand was steady, his dagger ready to draw blood. This was a long time coming. Deep down, he always knew that in the end he would lose his life to his father, or he would have to take his father's life. It was written into fate from the moment the king betrayed his little boy.

"You truly are a fool," The Moon King sneered, standing straight and raising his sword. "I've dreamed of the day I'm able to kill you. And now you've given me the chance to do so without any consequences."