Sworn death

"That will be determined."

"When, if not now? This-"

Minho's words were cut off by the door of the council room slamming open, and his annoyance instantly gave way to sickening worry at the sight of Changbin stumbling in covered in blood, one of his eyes swelling shut, his sword bloodied and locked in his grip. "Chang-"

"Where is Jisung?!" the bodyguard cried out, eyes searching the room wildly. "Is he here, please tell me he is!"

Minho's heart fell into a blackened chasm at those words and that voice seemed to fill his head. "Find Jisung. Go to him now." He was on his feet in seconds. "Changbin, what happened?"

"Shit, he's not here," Changbin painted out. Then he was gone again, his uneven footsteps ringing loudly as he ran down the hall.

Minho ran after him, closely followed by Chan. His heart was on the verge of giving out, physical pain beginning to bloom in his chest from worry, from fear. "Changbin!"

The bodyguard didn't slow down, and all Minho could do was try to keep up. He'd never seen Changbin so panicked, so desperate. He stumbled as he made it into another hall, and Minho caught his arm, stopping him and keeping him upright at the same time.

"What happened, why are you looking for Jisung?" he demanded, trying to catch his breath as he pushed Changbin back against the wall.

The guard swiped at his bloodied lips, shaking his head as he squeezed his eyes shut. "I- I was running late in escorting the Prince, but as I ran to make up for lost time, I was ambushed. They were all masked, I have no idea who they were, but they- they managed to lock me in some closet. No one would target me unless their goal was Prince Jisung. I have to find him, fuck, Minho, he's in trouble, and it's all my fault-"

Minho was going to be sick. "Stop right there, Changbin, do not blame yourself for anything that is going on right now." He stepped back. "Chan, take him to the infirmary, make sure he is properly taken care of." Minho snapped at one of the guards stationed a few feet away. "I need every available soldier searching this castle now!"

"Y- yes, Your Highness!"

Minho turned on his heel, legs numb as he marched through the hall that was beginning to stretch and shrink all around him at once. Find Jisung, find Jisung, find Jisung.

He nearly crashed into a group of people coming out of a joining corridor, and the moment he realized it was his mother and her guards, he felt himself grow weaker. Jisung was supposed to be with her.

"Minho-"

"Did Jisung meet with you? Have you seen him today?"

The Sun Queen signaled one of her guards. "Alert the guard, we have a prince to find."

Wordlessly, the man ran off in instant obedience, and the queen grabbed her son's arms, her eyes alert yet calm and focused. "Darling, you must not panic."

Minho forcefully pulled free. "Jisung was supposed to be with you over an hour ago! That is an hour lost in finding him. I will not rest until he is found and safe." He stormed away, fear and anger bubbling together uncomfortably in his chest, filling his lungs and spilling through his limbs in waves that made him shake.

Jisung, my love, please be okay. I'm looking for you, I'm on my way. I will find you, I will find you, I will find you.

◇◇◇

"What's going on, what did you find?" Minho demanded as he reached the courtyard where several people were gathered after a fruitless, hour-long search for Prince Jisung.