Kal

"Kal," Kalati said. She was absolutely dumbfounded. The Queen wanted to...have a walk in the garden with her? Was she still on the right planet?

She looked the Queen up and down. She was a beautiful vision in jewels and fine fabric, and the first thing Kal could think of was how to snag one of those pretty jewels for herself. It would sell for a pretty penny and she could live large for a while until the next job.

But for now...she took up walking beside the Queen, too confused to protest or even try to snake-talk her way out of the situation. She wasn't being killed. She was being roped into some sort of romp through the orchard witn the head of state. Why not?

"Hello, Kal, it is lovely to meet you," said Finnula. "I have never seen someone so brazenly hang above guards in such a way."

"Yeah, well, they're not too smart. I imagine they'll be searching the roses for an hour before realizing they abandoned their posts." Kal was frank.

"Mischievous and observant," said Finnula. "Why did you come to this particular place to thieve your dinner?"

Kal shrugged. "I like the thrill. Also, the guards are stupid. And earlier I was watching the fancy dinner you were just at. Usually there's good food thrown out for the dogs."

Finnula asked, "You eat from the refuse?"

Kal looked up at the Queen. She was much taller, and her darksome eyes were curious. "Of course I do, especially on big feast days when the nobles make themselves fat on the backs of the starving commoners. They eat well. They throw out bread with only three bites taken out of it."

The Queen leveled her gaze at Kal. She was quiet for a moment. "Are you hungry?"

Kal shrugged. "I'm always hungry. Hungry is a constant for every commoner."

Finnula walked them around the swell of a fountain. "I think I should find you in further debt to the Crown," she said gently, "and ask you to have a meal with me."

Kal said, "I don't think that—"

"Are you refusing the Queen?"

Kal stopped talking.

Suddenly, a voice cut the air behind them. "Your Majesty!"

They turned. A well-dressed, tightly-coiffed woman was running toward them. "Your Majesty!" The valet stopped, saw Kal, and her nose scrunched immediately. "Your Majesty, I apologize, the guards should have seen out any riffraff."

"Ah, Lonnie." The Queen said brightly. "This is Kal. Kal is under a debt to the Crown."

Lonnie's face fell. "Ah."

Kal could hardly breathe. What was happening?

"Kal will be having a meal with me in my parlor. See something warm and hearty is served immediately. You are dismissed."

"Yes, Your Majesty," said the valet. She did not like her orders, but she had to go and fulfill them.

Kal loved to see a shithead dismissed by their superiors. That never failed to delight her. She looked curiously at the Queen. "When am I...uh...out of this debt?"

"When the Crown decides," said Finnula. "Come. Let us get out of this night air, and to the dinner that is promised."

"Better than eating out of the garbage," Kal had to accept. "I can do that at least."

"I do have one request, Kal."

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Honesty. I want your honesty. If I ask you about the world, please do not lie to me."

Kal tilted her head curiously. "You need to talk to more common folk."

Finnula nodded. "I do."

"Well then, let's see how well you fill my belly and I'll answer any question you have."