Madge and Kal

The Mistress of the Household noticed Princess Yulia's maid loitering about too often by the ebony doors of the Queen's Suite. She sent a message to the Queen's Valet, but did nothing about stopping the maid. She watched instead. She knew how important it was to observe.

Lonnie sent back a swift reply. She detailed the date of her return to the palace and advised the Mistress to continue to observe for now, and to report this to the Queen.

The Mistress of the Household ventured through the ebony doors and found the Queen and her woman resting in bed. The Queen was deeply asleep, but the newcomer was awake and sitting up in bed. "Hello," she said gently.

The Mistress of the Household curtsied to her. "My Lady, I apologize, I did not realize Her Majesty was sleeping."

"Please don't wake her. She needs the rest."

The Mistress nodded and said, "I can see as much." She readied to leave, but before she turned to go, she paused. "My Lady, may I speak honestly?"

Kal nodded. "Yes, I'd prefer it."

"There is a hawk watching your nest. She is a maid named Lianne, and she is not to be trifled with. She is lady's maid to Princess Yulia, and will happily make your life miserable if she can. Please be wary, as she is cunning and full of traps."

Kal thought long and hard over this warning. She tilted her head at the Mistress. "Is there another way out of the Queen's Suite?"

The Mistress paused, but nodded.

Kal said, "Bring me a change of linens, but hide within it a maid's uniform."

"What do you plan on doing?"

"Oh...not much. But if you see me, just call me Kal. Everyone does."

"Kal. My name is Madge. It's lovely to meet you. I shall hasten to do as you ask."

"Thank you, Madge. I appreciate it."

After Madge left, Kal sat up in bed and looked at the Queen as she slept. Thoughts ran back and forth through her mind. Who had seen her? She had been seen at the Queen's side but only briefly and she had tucked her head in against Finnula's side as they quickened their way into the palace. The inner chamber maids knew her likeness, but if she steered clear of them, she could gain an advantage. Lianne likely did not know her face. She could bank on that.

Kal smiled at Finnula. She looked so beautiful as she slept. She laid down next to her Queen, resettled her hands on her breasts, and gingerly massaged them with loving hands. Finnula made a soft, sleepy sound of want, and Kal shivered happily.