The Queen

Finnula knelt beside the bath and lathered her hands with a soft, fluffy soap. She waited for Kal to turn around and settle on the step of the pool, and settled her hands on her shoulders first. The poor woman had knots in her muscles that felt more like ropes. She smoothed soap down her back, and as she did, she massaged those areas of heavy tension. She was very careful not to disturb the bruising around her middle; she knew the cream she had just made would work wonders.

But she had a nagging, lingering feeling. She did not want to let this woman go back to the life she was living.

Kal sighed happily. "Thank you, that feels wonderful."

The Queen smiled. "Dined and bathed by the Queen, you are."

"I'll be the most popular thief to beat up!"

Finnula was quiet. "I still want their names, Kalati."

"Ohhh no, you used my full first name. This must be serious."

"It is. The Crown does not suffer violence like this."

"I mean it when I said it's over and done with. Why bother it? Let sleeping dogs lie."

"Because I am the Queen," Finnula said, squeezing Kal's shoulders. "Because it matters to me. To me, seeing this is a failure of my own making. I must right this wrong."

Kal made a soft sound, a sigh almost. "No one has ever really...cared. Never thought the Queen would."

"The Queen does most of all, Kalati."

Kal looked up back and up at her in a way that made a funny feeling flop in the pit of Finnula's stomach. She couldn't help herself and cradled the young woman's face. Kal nuzzled her hand, and for a time, held her hand to her cheek. When she let her go, she whispered, "Sorry..."

"Why? Whatever for?" The Queen's voice was soft, gentle.

"I don't know. I've honestly never been shown this kind of kindness. I feel unworthy of it."

Finnula stroked her cheek. "You are so worth the kindness. Never lie to yourself like that again. That is an order from your Queen."

"Yes, ma'am."

The way she said that made another flop roll in the Queen's belly. "Let me help you wash your hair, and then I shall bandage you." She did this with a softness and tenderness to her touch. She wanted to give nothing but gentility to her guest, who had obviously seen so much cruelty. She helped her wash her jet black hair and admired the way it shown in the lamp light. She combed it and pulled it up and off of her neck, braided it, and squeezed the water from her braid. Then she dried her with the softest towel.

Normally, the Queen would never perform such an act—others were there to do this—but this was personal. She sat on a stool and tugged Kal to her.

Kal went meekly as a lamb, and let Finnula spread a cooling cream along the boot-shaped bruises that ran along her middle, and over her back. She could see older scars here, too. Whip marks, likely from being caught thieving. Bruises from older fights. She tried to stretch her healing ability through the young woman as she administered to her.

"Kal, I know there are more bruises that you're not showing me," Finnula said gently, as she wrapped bandaging around the young woman's ribcage.

"Yeah, I can do that part."

"No. You will let me. I am healing you with my energy as I do this."

Kal blushed hot. "They're...in...ah, sensitive areas."

"That bothers me not. You will feel much better when I am through, and I shall be quick. I will not be disrespectful. I am a healer."

Kal was silent, then, "Al-alright."

The Queen stood, gathered the prepared pajamas, and walked Kal through the parlor to her bedroom. She patted the bed, and Kal carefully got in, making a soft grunt of effort and pain. Finnula could see bruising all up and down her inner thighs and buttocks, and this infuriated her.

"Finnula?" Kal asked softly. "Are you alright?"

Finnula replied gently, "Yes, dear Kal. I shall be quick."