Kal

Kal did not know a time when she did not sleep with a heightened sense of awareness. If she had to, she could sleep with one eye open. But that night, Kal slept in the arms of the Queen like a baby.

When she woke the next morning, she was still safely within Finnula's hold. She didn't dare move, for she dare not wake her, and she dare not break the spell of being in such a privileged position. She didn't want to wake the Queen and suddenly find her to have changed her mind.

The door opened, startling her. In walked the valet from the night before, the one that had called her riffraff. The valet saw the sight of the Queen with her arms wrapped around Kal, and a look of distaste ran across her face. She sighed in a resigned manner, and gently cleared her throat. "Your Majesty."

"Lonnie," said the Queen in a dusky voice, "bring breakfast for two."

"As you wish, Your Majesty," said the valet, and she disappeared.

"I apologize for Lonnie's manner," Finnula said, kissing the top of Kal's head. "Lonnie is protective of me. And she is good at her job, which is keeping track of me. However, I shall not permit anyone to bully you."

Kal looked up at her with big dark eyes. "Because I'm your girl."

"Because you are my girl," said the Queen. The stubborn way she said it made Kal blush. "I will keep you so well, dear Kal, that the life you lived before the orchard shall soon be a distant thing of the past."

Kal smiled at Finnula. "I can't wait to see your castle. I've never been beyond this village."

"There are many marvels to be seen there," Finnula said. "Including you. I keep many beautiful things."

Lonnie arrived shortly with breakfast in tow, enough for two. Breakfast for the Queen was always a top-notch affair. Her food was carefully crafted and always filling, and when Kal ate some, she certainly felt like royalty.

"Lonnie, before you leave, I must entreat you consider Kalati here with the utmost respect. For to disrespect her is to disrespect me, is that clear?" Finnula pointedly spoke to her valet. "Suffer no one to speak an ill word, or I'll have them thrown in the stocks."

Lonnie bowed stiffly. "As you wish, my Queen."

Kal looked at Finnula with wide eyes.

"See that a tailor is brought. I want to take her measurements and have a wardrobe made."

Lonnie bowed again. "I swear it will be done, does Your Majesty have further instructions?"

"Nothing. I wish to spend time away from any frivolous engagements. See them canceled and an appropriate apology sent out."

Kal felt herself go so pink in the face she was sure she was a bright cherry.