The Royal Carriage

Kal could hear the noise of the capital city celebrations from miles away, and the jangling of bell towers and musical instruments was intimidating. She looked at the Queen, wide-eyed. "Is that all for you?"

"It is. The people rejoice when the monarch returns. I shall ride a mare through the gates of the city and to the gates of my palace, and you shall ride safely within the carriage." The Queen tilted up her chin. "I have a feeling you'd be more comfortable here during that parade. It is...quite a lot."

Kal poked out her bottom lip. "I will miss you."

Finnula blinked, and smiled, then leaned in and kissed her. She lingered long, stroking her face. "I will miss you, too. You surprise me so much with how much you make me feel wanted."

"You didn't feel wanted before?"

"Not like the way you make me feel," the Queen replied.

Kal gave her a soft, wavering smile, and said softly, "I'll always make you feel so wanted."

The Royal Carriage came rolling to a pause, and then full stop. There was a knock on the door, and Lonnie said, "Your Majesty, it is time."

The Queen put a soft kiss on Kal's lips. "We shall only be parted a short time, and then to the Royal Suite we go. The parade will be loud. Prepare yourself."

"May I look out the windows?"

"I don't think that is a good idea," Lonnie interrupted. "Not yet, at least. There may have to be a grace period of introducing you to Court and the broader public."

Kal huffed. "I don't like being a dirty secret."

"You aren't," said the Queen lovingly. "You're my precious treasure. You must be transported in a gilded box, like proper treasure is. Think of it like this, my little thief."

Kal quieted her upset.

The Queen kissed the tip of her nose. "Worry not. We shall be together again soon."

Kal sat back in the Carriage as the Queen exited. She was off to go mount her mare and take her place as returning Head of State.

Lonnie said, "Little Kal."

Kal looked up, blinking, surprised at being spoken to so gently.

"I shall be with my wife soon, and you with your Queen. There will be servants to attend to you, but I shall be gone for a stretch of days. Mind you take care of the Queen whilst I am gone, and enjoy your honeymoon whilst I am gone, as well."

The door shut, and Kal stammered to nothingness. She did not expect for Lonnie to be so...kind.

The Royal Carriage lurched into motion again. Kal, ever the little fox, plopped herself on the floor, and carefully looked up through the shivering curtains of the Carriage windows. No one ever told her she couldn't sneak glances. Hah.