Chapter-16

Birth… day…?

Akk stared at the light blue box in Ayan’s hand, a little surprised. No wonder he always felt like he had forgotten something today, it turned out he had forgotten his birthday.

The first thing was the disgusting employer he met at the part-time job interview, then Pong’s debts…

It turned out that his birthday was on such a depressing, hopeless, and frustrating day.

Ayena probably prepared a gift for him, no wonder she kept it a secret when he knocked on the door at noon…

For the first time in his sixteen years of life, Akk seemed to have received a birthday gift from someone other than Ayena.

Akk, “How did you know it was my birthday?”

Naturally, Ayan couldn’t betray Ayena, who had been good enough to sell all of Akk’s information to him that day outside Sunflower Elementary School.

He smiled, “I counted with my fingers.”

Akk hesitated, “I can’t accept it.”

“It’s just a birthday gift. If you feel bad about it, you can pay me back in return when it’s my birthday next month.” Ayan said.

“Your birthday is next month?”

“Yes.” Ayan replied, “And as the first one to give you a gift, I should have a privilege, right?”

“??”

“When it comes to my birthday gift, the gift you send should meet my requirements.”

Akk: “….”

Meeting Akk’s ever so suspicious look, Ayan laughed: “I haven’t even said the requirements yet, why do you look like you want to call the police?”

“….”

Akk looked down and saw that the corners of the box that were in Ayan’s palm were still stained with blood. He hesitated, but he reached over and took it from Ayan.

“Open it and take a look.” Ayan said, “It took me a long time to choose it.”

“What is it?”

“An engagement ring?”

“!!”

Akk’s hand trembled and was about to throw the box away.

Ayan couldn’t help himself, “I’m joking! See for yourself.”

Akk looked at him blankly before lowering his head and opening the light blue box with a throbbing heart.

Inside was a pair of silver-white, square-shaped jewelry with two small diamonds embedded in the corners.

Akk looked for a few seconds and asked uncertainly, “Are they…. cufflinks?”

“Well, seeing as you like to wear shirts, you’ll need them sooner or later.”

Akk hesitated, “Cufflinks are only for French shirts, I shouldn’t be able to wear them.”

“Then next year I’ll give you one as a present.”

Akk frowned, he raised his eyes to look at Ayan, wanting to say something.

Ayan raised an eyebrow, “What, you don’t like it?”

“No…” Akk sighed as he put the box away in his backpack, “I like it, thank you. Now I’ll take you to the hospital.”

Akk turned on the flashlight of his cell phone and walked forward. The teenager’s back was thin, and the sharp lines of the silhouette were cut off by the cell phone’s light.