Chapter Thirteen: Protective

Robin paced back and forth in his room. He tried to think of a way to keep his little brother safe from Slade. Vlad would also be a threat considering what Danny said he's done to him. Robin looked at picture of him and Danny that he kept on his night stand. He narrowed his masked eyes as he picked up the photo. He would protect his brother at any cost. He set the photo down softly and walked over to the gym. Robin punched a punching bag with all his strength. Sweat dripped down his forehead. He sighed as he sat down on a bench. Images of his parents death flashed through his mind. Though this time as he watched his parents fall they were accompanied by his brother. Tears began to form in his eyes but he held them back as best he could. Danny passed by the slightly open door of the gym. He heard a small sigh come from the room. He peered through the crack to see his brother sitting on the bench looking upset. Danny pushed the door open catching Robin's attention. "Robin are you alright? You seem a bit off today." Danny said slightly worried. Robin debated in his mind on whether to tell Danny Slade's plan or not. He decided against the idea of telling him so that so he wouldn't worry to much. "Oh Danny, I'm fine I promise." Robin replied. "You sure?" Danny questioned again. "Positive. I'm just a little tired that's all." Robin said as he began pushing Danny out the door to prevent any further questioning. "Ummm ok then well I guess I'll be going now." Danny said as Robin closed the door behind him. Danny gave the door one last glance before continuing down the hall. Robin sighed as he returned to the bench. A moment later the crime alert sounded. Robin rushed out the door and saw that Slade and Vlad were attacking near the pizza place. Slade's words about his brother played in Robin's head as he thought about the possibility of Slade using this attack as just a way to get to Danny. After the rest of the titans left Robin stopped Danny before he could leave. "Robin what's the deal?" Danny asked. "I just think maybe you should sit this one out." Robin said nervously. "What's?! But Vlad's there!" Danny yelled. "I know and we can handle him." Robin said in a calm tone. "No you can't! Last time we faced him he kicked your butts!" Danny yelled getting annoyed. "But we know what he's capable of now. I just don't want you to get hurt and I'm the leader so you have to follow my orders." Robin said while trying to stay calm. "You may be the leader of this team but you're not the leader of me. You know maybe I made a mistake joining this team, I'm better off on my own." Danny said as he stormed off. Robin sank to his knees as tears began to fill his eyes. Danny slammed the door to his room closed. He gathered up his few belongings and put them in a backpack. "Maybe Robin will be better off when I'm gone. It'll give him one less thing to worry about." Danny thought. He quickly wrote out a note and placed it on his nightstand. He slung the backpack over his shoulders and transformed. He opened the window and sat on the windowsill. He looked back at the empty room wondering if he was making the right choice. He pushed the thought from his mind and flew away from the tower hoping to find shelter somewhere. Robin knocked on the door nervously. When no reply came he became even more nervous and worried and pushed the door open. He was greeted by an empty room. Robin could feel his heart sink in his chest. He noticed something on the nightstand and picked it up. As he read the note he felt his heart not only sink but break in two. He dropped the note and collapsed to his knees. He pulled his knees to his chest and buried his face in them. His brother, the last bit of family he had left, was gone.