Chapter Seventeen: Preparing For Battle

Robin's eyes slowly opened as the sun shone brightly through the window. He looked over to his side to see his younger brother laying unconscious in the bed next to him. "So it wasn't a dream." He thought as began to get up. He walked to his brother's body. He placed his hand on his brother's and rubbed it slightly. "I can't let Slade get away with this any longer." Robin said to himself. Suddenly the door opened to reveal Cyborg. "Oh hey man I didn't know you were awake." Cyborg said as he walked over. "Hey. What you doing in here?" Robin asked. "Just came to check Danny's vitals." Cyborg replied. "Oh well I was just about to leave so I won't be in your way." Robin said as he walked out of the room. He walked down the hall and stopped in front of the door to the evidence room. He sighed as he entered the room. He sat at the computer and began to look for clues on where Slade's location was. Hours passed and he had found only a few clues. Robin sighed and rubbed his temples. He looked over to the clock and saw that it was one o'clock. He then turned back to the bright computer screen. "Just a few more hours." He thought to himself. Starfire walked in to the main room and saw only two of her friends. She looked around the room to make sure they weren't just out of her sight. "Where are Robin and Raven?" She asked Beast boy and Cyborg who were the only other titans in the room. "Well Raven's in her room meditating and Robin, he's been in the evidence room all day." Beast boy replied to her. "Oh." She said seeming a bit sad and worried. She then turned and exited the room. "You know man I'm kinda worried about Robin I mean he seems like he's going Slade crazy again." Beast boy said to Cyborg. "Well Slade really crossed the line this time. I mean he almost killed the only family Robin has left." Cyborg said with sympathy in his voice. "Yeah I just hope he doesn't go to crazy and do something he'll regret." Beast boy said worriedly. Starfire knocked on the door of the evidence room. The door opened to reveal a tired looking Robin. "Oh hey Star." Robin said with a wave. Starfire smiled innocently and asked "Hello Robin I was wondering if you would like to take a break from your research and accompany me to the mall of shopping?" "Sorry Star, I'd love to but I'm really busy. Maybe next time." Robin replied. Starfire frowned as she watched Robin turn away and close the door. A single tear fell from her eye. She turned around and walked back to her room. More hours passed and Robin had gathered more clues and found a few possible locations. His eyes started to droop but he rubbed the tiredness out of them. He wouldn't stop until he found the exact location. After a few more hours he'd narrowed it down to three locations. He sighed and rested his head on the table. His eyes slowly begin close and fell in to a light sleep. In his dream he was back with his brother and parents at the circus. Everything seemed perfect and happy but that would soon change. Slade burst in to the tent holding a long deadly sword. Robin tried to run to attack but his feet seemed frozen to the ground. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't move. He watched his family be brutally killed by his most hated enemy and he was powerless to help. Soon the assassin had finished and walked out of the tent as if nothing had happened. Robin's feet finally began to move as he ran towards his family's bodies. Tears filled his eyes as he sunk to floor. Pools of blood began to emerge from the bodies and surround the young hero. It covered his legs but he showed no sign of caring. "No..." Robin whispered. "NO!!!" Robin shouted as his sprung up and he was transported back to reality. He began breathing heavily as sweat dripped from his forehead. He shook off the feeling of anxiety and fear that surrounded him. He looked back at the computer screen that showed the three possible locations. He narrowed his eyes as he continued to work. After a couple more hours he finally determined the most logical location. A small smirk formed on his lips. "Get ready Slade" Robin said determined "because I'm coming for you!"