12 | Blast From The Past

"Ashes time." Dean poured the ashes into the bullet, and I set the finished product aside with the four other ash-filled bullets to kill Eve.

"Good job us." I held my hand out above my head and Dean high-fived me, grabbing the chair beside me and sitting in it, turning to face me, and setting the bullets into a box.

"Hey. How you two doing?" Sam asked as he and Bobby came over to us in the basement.

"Five shells. That's how we're doing." Dean answered.

"Well, you know, it's a hell of a lot more than what we had last week." Sam said helpfully.

"Maybe." Dean shrugged.

"Meaning?" Bobby echoed.

"Meaning I just had myself a little mishap a few minutes ago, and, uh, well, here, look." Dean rubs ashes on his arm, and nothing happens. "I mean this stuff is supposed to burn the bejeezus out of Eve, doesn't even give me a sunburn."

Bobby shrugged. "Lore says it works."

"That's always reliable." Dean scoffed, holding out his arm as I wiped the ashes off with a semi-clean ashes rag.

"Well, you know what? Maybe it's like, uh–maybe it's like iron or silver. You know? Hurts them, not us." Sam suggested.

Dean shrugged. "Maybe, but a fat lot of good it does us 'til we find the bitch."

"I'm looking, but I'm thinking maybe it's time you made a call." Bobby said.

Dean sighed and got up from his chair. "Why has it always got to be me that makes the call, huh? It's not like Cass lives in my ass. The dude's busy." Cass suddenly appeared behind him, startling Dean as he turned around. "Cass, get out of my ass!"

"I was never in your–Have you made any progress in locating Eve?" Cass asked.

"Well we were gonna ask you about that." Bobby answered.

The angel shook his head. "No, I've looked, but she's hidden from me. She's hidden from all angels."

"Awesome." Dean sighed.

"You know, what we really need is an inside man." Sam suggested.

"What do you mean?" I stood up from my chair.

"Something with claws and sympathy." Sam explained.

Dean scoffed. "Like a friendly monster? Those are in short supply these days, don't you think?"

"Sure, but we've met one or two, right?" Sam answered.

"Maybe."

"So we can find one." Sam said.

Some time goes by. Bobby paces with a book while Dean stands and thinks, Sam and I pacing back and forth. Suddenly Cass appears, with a young girl.

"Lenore." Sam said.

The young girl tries to run, but Sam catches her, stopping her. "Wait, wait, wait, wait. Hey, hey. Lenore, stop. Look, we're happy you're here."

I walked over to Dean. "Who's the girl?"

"Lenore. Vampire. Surprised you don't know her." Dean answered. "Aren't all vampires, y'know, connected somehow?"

"She's from a different nest. And vampires aren't really known for their forwardness and friendship." I answered, and looked back at Lenore.

"Been a long time. You remember us?" Dean asked.

Lenore nodded. "I remember. Your hunter friend almost killed me."