13 | Dad's Back To Toturing People!

Dean, Sam, and I all sat around in Bobby's living room, flipping through pages of old journals from the Campbell's.

"Well, you know what, at least you tried." Sam said to Dean.

Dean shut his book. "Yeah, fat lot of good it did. Why did he even come, right? Well, Samuel's journals are pointless. I mean, I'm sorry, but uh, Jebediah Campbell has squat to tell me about how to stop Cass from cracking Purgatory."

Bobby walks in, carrying a large envelope. "Well actually, it's not about the journals we have, it's about the one we don't."

"Meaning what?" Sam asked.

"Well, that's the bad news. Our pal Cass didn't stop in last night just to mend fences." Bobby answered.

"What did he do?" Dean asked.

"Stole something." Bobby answered. "The journal of one Moishe Campbell."

"Moishe?" Sam closed his book.

Bobby nodded. "Of the New York Campbells."

"Well, uh, so we gotta get it back, right?" Sam asked.

Bobby holds up the envelope and hands it to Sam. "Or just read the copy I'd already made. Hi, glad to meet you. Bobby Singer. Paranoid bastard."

Hours later, we're still looking through the journals. Bobby is reading pages of the journal. Dean is carrying two mugs for him and Sam as Sam sits at a desk with another book.

"I think I zeroed in on something." Bobby said.

"What do you got?" Dean asked, taking the journal from Bobby. "'Went to talk to Howard Phillips about the events of March 10th.'" Dean hands Sam a mug and sits on the desk.

"That's March 10th, 1937." Bobby clarified.

"Alright. So who's this Phillips guy?" I asked.

"Phillips ain't his last name. It's Lovecraft." Bobby answered.

Sam looked up. "Wait, H.P. Lovecraft? Let me see that." he takes the book from Dean.

"Am I supposed to know who that is?" Dean asked.

"Horror writer. At the Mountains Of Madness, The Call of Cthulu?" Bobby said.

Dean looked amused. "Yeah, it's—no, I'm-I was too busy having sex with women."

Bobby rolled his eyes. "Well, anyhow. There's one notion that comes up over and over again in his stories. Namely opening doors to other dimensions and letting scary crap through."

"You don't say."

"Wait, so you're saying you think Lovecraft knew something about Purgatory?" I asked.

Bobby shrugged. "All I know is Moishe paid him a visit."

========

Dean's phone rang loudly in his pocket as he sat on the window s'il of the living room.

    He picked it up. "Ben?..What? What are they? Did you see their eyes? Teeth? This is important Ben, I need to know. Okay, where are you now? Can you get to your mom's closet? I left a shotgun in there...Okay, Ben, listen to me. Go to your window and jump. Any bones you break won't compare to what they're gonna do to you, Ben. You've got to jump. I'm coming right now. I'm coming to get you and your mom, I promise. You with me, Ben? Ben?.....Ben?"

    "What is it?" I watched as he stood up.

    Dean ignored me, and stood up. "Crowley, let 'em go now, or I swear...I am going to kill you...I'm telling you, last chance to let 'em go easy....." he took his phone from his ear and angrily chucked it at my head.