Blocking People out is my only talent

ALAN'S POV

I took my seat as the English teacher walked in, her heels clicking obnoxiously. Why do teachers wear heel? My feet hurt and I'm wearing loose shoes, and I sit down all day. That makes it seem like the teachers stand up. A moment of silence to remember my freshman health teacher who sat, cross-legged in the corner facing the wall when he played a video.

She did the annoying teacher thing where she wrote her name on the whiteboard and hit it with the pen.
"Hello AP English, my name is Ms.G, I have written it up because I hate being called ma'am or miss. I'm please to see you've all sat down. I will take the register now."

After that update, she sat at the desk and opened up a huge book, most teachers do take attendance electronically now or don't do it at all but here Miss was calling out names:
"Alan Ashby?"
"Here."
"Andrew Biersack."
"Here."
"Austin Carlile?"
"Here."
"Lovely. Our senior prefect."

What? Austin, the seemingly dick head was a prefect?
He must be popular amounts the student body and teachers: something I'd never mastered.
His clothes and vocab made him seem cool. Last time I tried to be cool was my last year of middle school, I was desperate to make friends that year and called someone 'swaggy'. I'm glad I don't have a name starting with 'S' because I think being referred to as 'Swaggy Sam' or something would make the incident more memorable. Thank God I'd lived that down.
Well. That just proves why I couldn't be friends with Austin.

I really am judgemental.

Normally I have really good judgement, like that Barakat was a raging homo so seeing Suer Douche transition to Teacher's Pet was a bit shocking.

Eh, judgement is a habit I can't break, the world judged me and I judged it right back. That's what I liked about Aaron, he was an open book so I didn't have to worry about him being different to what I thought he was. It was a safe friendship but that's what I liked.

Ms. G continued with the attendance, till she reached 'P';

"Aaron Pauly?"
Silence
"Aaron Pauly?"
More silence.
She prodded a kid who had fallen asleep, I knew him. His name was Kellin and I thought that he was a restless sleeper or an insomniac or something because of the bags under his eyes. I knew him because he was one of the only openly gay kids in the school, him and his boyfriend, who's name I didn't know but had a brother called Mike. That might have added to his sleeping issues.
He muttered;
"Speak up."
"No. I'm Quinn. Kellin Quinn."
"Okay."
"So is Aaron Pauly absent?"
"Yes."

We had wasted more than 15 minutes of a 40 minute class on the f*cking attendance. By 'wasted' I meant stalled. I hate English, especially with this demon teacher. She made every class boring, I don't want to know what she teaches. The Role of The Quotation Marks In The Fall Of The Roman Empire is irrelevant information, please spare me. Looking at the Barbarians who actually had a role in the fall of the Roman Empire, please hit me with your axes.

Once we had gotten through the painful attendance she proceeded to write 'Ice-breakers' on the board underneath her name.

"We need to get to know each other."
We've known each other since we were little, for me littler. We need some information erased from our memories, like when I saw Kellin and his boyfriend heating things up on camp. I don't mean like a fire either.

It was horrible.

I knew she'd call on me first, being the first in the role so I hoped I could stall her enough to get out of it. With 5 minutes to go I'm sure it's possible.

"You have to tell the Class something about you they won't know about you."
Need I repeat. Anything we don't know about each other is not worth knowing it deadly secret.
Except me. I'm very very VERY secretive. Being called 'Emo Faggot' does that to you.

I grabbed my books and heading to my next class.
Huzzah! I've got music.

"Uh. Ashby?"
Austin. What are you doing?
"Um. Yeah?"
"I've got Music next. Do you?"
Why was he asking me? No one shows an interest in me even though my ginger hair made me stick out like a sore thumb I kept to myself.
"Uh. Yeah, in room 0.1?"
"Yep. Wanna head there together?"
"Okay."
I was a little nervous and stuff but to be perfectly honest shutting people out was my only talent and k was f*cking good at it.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Ta-Da. The actually Cashby-ness is coming soon.
Look forward to it
-M x