Inspector Campbell.

Scarlett's POV

I stand beside Polly in the local church. I don't believe in God at all, but I am a Gypsy so I'm here to keep Polly company. I stand by the altar with her, lighting candles for the men and boys who passed away tragically in the war in France. The boys have gone to the fair and I know one hundred percent that they are causing trouble.

The church doors creak open and a slight breeze flows through the building. I turn to look the same time as Polly does to see the inspector walking down the middle isle of the church. His footsteps echoing off of the church walls. "A gentlemen would take off his hat, and put out his pipe." Polly corrects him firmly.

We glare at the inspector as he puts out his pipe on a church bench. A clear sign of fucking ignorance. I know I don't believe in god but that's just disrespectful and rude, especially for an officer, to put his pipe out on a bench inside a beautiful and respectful building.

"I see you little boys only come near us when the men are away at the fair. Very manly of you. Waiting to harass the women." I bellow as Polly nods her head, agreeing with me although we both know they can't intimidate us. We're Peaky fucking Blinders, not a lot intimates us. "You mean your men? With their guns and their razors? Is it them your lighting candles for?" He asks us.

"No." I spat miserably as my body tenses the closer the inspector gets to me. "We're lighting candles for the boys from the Garrison who lost their lives in France." Polly informs him, raising her head high. I roll my eyes in annoyance as Polly points to a list on a table. "There's a list there." She says before we stand in uncomfortable silence before Polly speaks up again, anger filling her voice as she spits her words with venom lacing her tone. "Look." She growls and the inspector does as he's told, his eyes lowering to the list.

"I hear you didn't make it to France, inspector Campbell." Polly says before blowing out her match. I stand back, walking around the other side of the alter to place my blown out match in the bin. I watch closely as the inspector steps dangerously close to Polly, my hand tracing the knife I have strapped to my thigh.

"You've heard of me. I've heard of you." He says as his eyes flicker over to me, his eyes undressing me making me feel sick as he grins creepily. "Especially you, Miss Hayes. The woman known as the Shelby brothers girl and the Gypsy Beauty. I can see why they call you that." He says as I glare at him.

The inspector pushes past the gate that I had closed behind me causing my eyebrow to raise. "Is it the holy grail you're looking for?" I ask sarcastically as he looks at me unimpressed. Polly smirks at me, not bothering to hide that she found my words funny. "Yes, as a matter of fact, Miss Hayes, it is the holy grail I'm looking for." As he finished speaking, the church doors flew open and two police officers walk in.

I go to move back to Polly's side but the first officer catches me. I follow the inspector as he walks dangerously close to Polly. "Something precious. Something stolen. Perhaps you know what I'm talking about." He says as he grabs onto Polly roughly, pushing her back cashing me to growl, struggling against the officers.

Polly, however, kept calm as she leaned forward kissing Campbell, it taking a minute for him to push her away. "Sorry, I misunderstood your intentions when you pushed me against the wall." Polly blurts, acting fazed as I smirk. I knew I shouldn't have laughed but I couldn't help it as the inspector wipes his mouth in disgust.

The officer who held my arms let me go and I turn to look at him in disgust. "If you thinking I'm kissing you, then you need to get your head checked." I smirk as I walk over to Polly's side as the inspector flicks up the door lock. "Turn this place upside down." He orders and the police officers begin to search through the once quiet church. The inspector walks back to us, stopping in front of me this time. "Arthur said you'd help us." He tells us.