I'll Never Let Go. I Promise.

Scarlett's POV

I stare up blankly at the gypsy wagon that holds Johns body inside of it. I sigh, shaking my head as I kiss the envelope in my hand before sliding it under the door. Walking back to the family, Tommy grabs my hand, pulling me between him and Arthur. "Stay with me, Letty. He would have wanted you to say something." He instructs, squeezing my hand and I nod faintly. "This is how John wanted to go...in the smoke, and the truth is we died together once before." Tommy begins.

"Arthur, me, Danny Whizzbang, Freddie Thorne, Jeremiah and John. We were cut off from the retreat. No bullets left, waiting for the Russian Calvary to come and finish us off. And while we waited, Jeremiah said, 'we should sing in the Bleak Midwinters'. But we were spared. The enemy never came and we all agreed that everything that came after that was extra. And when our time came, we'd all remember that-" Tommy says only to be cut off by Polly.

"That god spared you. But what did you do with that extra time he have you, eh, Thomas?" Polly spat. "Polly, just be quiet for once in your life." I growl, glaring at the woman who looks down in shame. "John Shelby was the love of my life." I begin. "When I first met John, he smiled so wide at me and nothing will ever compare to that smile. John held my hand throughout everything. He was the first person and last person I call the love of my life." I say, sniffling as tears gather in my eyes.

Arthur grabs my hand, squeezing it tightly in his own and nodding at me through my tears. "Nothing will ever compare to the love I felt for that man. I can't bare the thought of not having him by side everyday. John made a promise to always protect me, no matter what, till the day he died and he did that. He stayed true to his words. You were too good for this world, John and you will always be mine. I promise to never let you go. I'll never let go." I finish, quietly.

Arthur turns, lighting a match and tossing it into piles of wood that lay on the side of the wagon. I close my eyes, swallowing the sick feeling in my stomach. A silence takes over as I look at the wagon in disbelief. My John is really gone and he's not coming back.

Tommy begins to look around just as a gunshot echos throughout the air, breaking the silence of the cold morning. Everyone apart from me, Arthur and Tommy duck down, getting their weapons out. "At ease. At ease. Do not return fire. I repeat, do not return fire. Stand down. The men doing the shooting are on our side." Tommy instructs as I stay staring at the burning wagon.

"I took the trouble of getting an invitation to Aberama Gold." Tommy tells everyone. "Oh fuck, now it's begun." Johnny dogs curses. "Put us out in the open on purpose. To use Johns funeral fire as a fucking beacon." Polly spat. "We were never in any danger Polly." Arthur tells her. "You set a trap." Polly shouts. "Finn? Finn? Go to the yard and light fires." Tommy instructs. "You set a trap with us as fucking bait!" Polly yells, rushing towards Polly. "Who's dead?" She questions, pointing towards Aberama who leads his men and two horses with bodies on the backs.

"Our enemies." Tommy grumbles. "Who's dead?" Polly whimpers. "You wanna know, Pol? Two fucking local Italians who heard about the vendetta, trying to make a fucking name for themselves, that's who." Tommy spat. "We got word to them, about the funeral. The where, the when. Told them where to stand for the best shot." Arthur explains. "And Aberama Gold will do the rest. That's the language of vendetta. They take one of ours, we take two of theirs." Tommy finishes.

"You used your own brothers funeral." Polly spat in disgust as Tommy tips his hat. "When did we vote on this, Tommy?" Polly questions, pointing between me and her. "Curly, get a boat ready to take the bodies to the city." Tommy begins. "And another boat, for anyone, anyone who wants no part in this. Cause this is how it's going to be!" Tommy yells and Polly begins to walk off through the field. "Polly!" Tommy calls after her but Polly ignored him.

"I'm not staying for this, Arthur. I'm going home." Linda tells him, walking past Tommy. "Oh yeah? Homes 57, Watery Lane. You go there, you lock the doors and you wait for me." Arthur instructs, holding out the key. Linda ignores him, beginning to walk away but I snatch the key from Arthur and grab Linda arm as she struggles against me. "Scar, she's pregnant." Arthur warns but I ignore him.

"This is not the time for you to act like a stuck up bitch. You take that key. You got to Watery Lane. You sit the fuck down and make a cup of tea." I growl, holding out the key to her. "You don't fucking complain because you're a Shelby now and you'll end up dead just the same as the rest of us if you don't fucking listen. So take the goddamn key, Linda." I warn, and she takes the key reluctantly. She shoots me one last glare before she storms off, Ada jogging up to catch after her.

Aberama nears with his men and horses, a boy with black hair on the horse beside him catches my eye. He tips his hat, smiling slightly at me before I look away. "Five hundred each. A thousand for the brace. Where do you want them?" Aberama asks Tommy. "Charlie, take him to the yard." Tommy instructs before he turns to me but I turn and walk off. "Letty!" He yells but all he gets from me is a middle finger in return.