𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞. - 𝓈𝒽𝑒'𝓈 𝒸𝒶𝓁𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑔

★🗯️🌪️🌙🎬☁️★

matt is the most confusing person ever. one night we'll be laying on each other and the next morning we're arguing. he gets mad at me over the dumbest shit, and i'm so tired of it. i want to quit most days, but i just can't. when my loud phone rings, i pick it up.

"this is emerson," i try to hide the tiredness in my voice.

"are you that hungover from wine?" i hear matt ask through the phone.

"what?"

"you sound tired, but anyway, come to my office right now." he says into the phone. i roll my eyes and put down the phone as i stand up and fix my dress. i walk over to his office and knock, the door almost opening before i knocked.

"mhm, yeah she's right here..." i hear him say into his work phone. "yeah i'll give it to her now, bye." he says as he tries to hand me the phone. "it's your mom," he presses his lips together.

"uh, no. tell her i'm at work and i can't talk right now."

"she said she's sorry for calling right now but she has to tell you something urgently." he says, urging me to take the phone again.

"tell her i'll call her later, i don't want to talk right now." i roll my eyes.

"please just take the phone, she said it's an emergency." he sighs and closes his eyes. i roll my eyes and take the phone.

"what do you need?" i say in an annoyed tone through the phone. i point to outside matt's door and he nods as i turn around to step outside his office.

"emerson, it's mom." she says.

"i know." i scoff.

"i know you're mad at me and you're at work, but you need to come home." she says.

"why?"

"your dad isn't doing well at all..." she mumbles.

"dad? how?" i ask.

"we aren't sure, he's really sick, emerson." she sighs. "you need to come home so that you can be here in case something happens."

"i can't take time off work and what if nothing happens?" i ask.

"i think it will hun... i'm not sure if he'll make it to the end of this week." she whispers into the phone. i can feel my eyes burning and the lump forming in my throat.

"but how did he get so bad so quickly?" i say as my voice breaks.

"we don't know other than the fact that he's having liver failure. they diagnosed him with liver cancer too. please come home."

"mom, i can't."

"emerson... please put our differences aside and be there for your dad, stop being so fucking selfish and making everything about you."

"you're the one who's making it about yourself. i can't go see him, i have to work. it has nothing to do with the fact that i'm mad at you. now it does, of course, since everything revolves around you."

"stop being a selfish bitch, emerson."

"shut the fuck up." i snap. "i'm not being selfish."

"but you're not going to say goodbye to your dying dad because 'you have to work'?" she mocks.

"what do you want me to do? get fired? sorry, i can't just run off and marry some rich dude and not have to work like your lazy ass." i scoff.

"emerson! you know i didn't cheat."