Chapter 1

I leaned back against a tree, the Welcome to Riverdale sign just barely visible through the low-hanging branches. We were early, the only sounds the rustling of branches and the chirping of birds. Hunter looked back in our direction, shaking his head to let us know there was no sign of anyone yet.

Dakota dropped down next to me, taking a seat on a tree root next to me. "You sure you want to do this?" he asked.

I nodded, pulling apart the leaf in my hand. "It's been long enough, almost six months."

"He'd understand if you changed your mind."

"I know," I sighed. "But he wouldn't have asked if he didn't think I was ready."

The sound of motorcycles echoed down the empty road, coming to stop in the clearing not far from where we were waiting. "It's them," Hunter confirmed, joining us. "Ready?" he asked, holding out a hand to me.

I let him pull me up, wincing at the pain. I held a hand against my left side as if it were going to do any good.

"Still bothering you?" FP asked, walking over. "Have Hawkeye get you in for another look."

"Yes, father," I said sarcastically before looking past him.

Jughead stood frozen, staring at me in shock. "Abigail? What–How are you here?" he finally stuttered out. "I thought you were dead."

"I was," I answered simply.

"What the hell happened? Where have you been?"

"You didn't tell him?" I asked, looking up at FP.

He shook his head. "I figured I'd let you decide how much you wanted to share about the past few months."

I sighed, leaning back against the tree. "The short version is this: Penny knew I was a spy, Malachai killed me, these guys saved me. I've been in Centerville ever since." Dakota placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. He and the others knew the full truth, but I wasn't about to get into all of that.

"Babygirl, I know it's a lot to ask, but do you think you're ready to come back to Riverdale?" FP asked.

"It's up to you, Abi," Hunter said. "And you know we've got your back no matter what."

"I'm not sure how welcome I'd be," I replied.

Jughead sighed. "Sheriff Minetta's still pissed about you setting the place on fire, and a lot of Serpents still think you were a traitor, even though my dad and I told them about the plan, how you were trying to help us bring the Ghoulies down. But we miss you. Your friends, especially–"

He cut himself off, but I knew what he was about to say next. Sweet Pea. The one I missed the most, try as I might to get over him. He'd moved on, with Josie McCoy of all people, according to FP, so why couldn't I?

"I'll think about it," I said quietly.

"That's all we're asking for," FP said, stepping forward, pulling me into a gentle, fatherly hug. "Don't get lost in that head of yours again, Babygirl," he whispered in my ear. "I can't get that phone call from Hawkeye again."

I nodded, pulling away. "I'll be okay."

FP studied me for a moment before turning his attention to Hunter and Dakota on either side of me. "Take care of our girl," he told them.

I let the pair lead me through the woods to the waiting bikes, thoughts racing. Was I ready to go back? Was I ready to face everyone? I had time to think about it. Right now, I was on my way to see Hawkeye, and most likely the hospital for more x-rays and possibly a not-quite legal trip to the pharmacy.

Author's Note: I rewrote this chapter at least 4 times, changing who is in it, where they are, and how much information is shared, and I'll probably keep changing it if I don't just publish this version and move on.  The next chapter will be better, I promise.