Chapter 5

The bunker was crowded with so many people in it. And strangely quiet while we waited for Toni to finish cleaning Andrews's wounds. He was in bad shape after Betty and the others had broken him out of Leopold and Loeb, a place I'd refused to go anywhere near. I'd waited for Betty and Kevin to arrive, following them down after Andrews had been dropped through the hatch.

"There, you're all patched up," Toni said, placing one last bandage on Andrews's side. "Now don't make any sudden movements."

"I won't. Thanks, Toni," he said as she walked to stand next to Cheryl, pulling the redhead's glare off me.

Veronica took Toni's seat on the bed. "Who did this to you, Archie?"

"It was Joaquin. He stabbed me. I think the Warden made him do it," he answered, looking around the room. His eyes widened when he saw me. "Guys, where the hell am I?"

"You're in Dilton Doiley's bunker," Jughead said.

"The only people who know it exists are in this room. Right now, it's the safest place for you in Riverdale," Veronica assured him. "I promise."

"Dilton Doiley has a bunker?" Andrews asked, looking around again.

"We'll catch you up to speed once you're rested, okay?" Veronica said. "What do we do now, Abigail? How do we keep him safe?"

I shrugged. "There's not much that can be done. Keep him out of Minetta's sight until he can get around on his own again. After that, the best thing would be to get Andrews out of town until you find some way to clear his name."

"That's a lot of help," Cheryl said shortly.

"You have a better idea?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"As the–"

She cut herself off when Veronica gasped. "Archie, what is that on your hip?" We all looked to where she had pulled the blanket down, revealing some sort of symbol burned into his skin. How had Toni not noticed that when she was cleaning his stab wound?

"Courtesy of Warden Norton, to put me in my place after I tried to escape the first time," Andrews said, glancing down at the mark as well.

"The Warden branded you and ordered Joaquin to stab you? Jughead asked.

"Jug..." Betty said softly, pulling him back.

Veronica raised the blanket, covering the mark. "Can I have everyone's attention? Since my father saw me, I need to go do some damage control on the home front. But someone needs to stay with Archie at all times."

"Ronnie, I don't need anyone–"

"Yes, you do," Veronica interrupted, pushing Andrews back down on the bed. No one argued when Betty volunteered herself and Jughead to take the first watch. "No, equally important," Veronica began," everyone in this room is part of a pact. From this moment on, no one knows where this bunker is. No one was involved with that breakout, and no one is aware of Archie's whereabouts. To the grave. Capisce?"

Everyone nodded before filing out of the bunker, Jughead holding me back. "Did you find what you were looking for?" he asked quietly.

I glanced at Betty who was talking to Andrews. "Yeah, I did. I'm not completely sure what it means, but either way it's not good." It wasn't just jingle jangle the Ghoulies were making, it was Fizzle Rocks too. I recognized the candy on the table in one of the photos. This meant the Gargoyles were just pushing it. But what I still didn't know was why. Why have two different gangs, one dedicated to a role-playing game?

"So, what is it?" Jughead asked.

"I don't know much yet," I said, "but it's something relatively new that's been showing up where Gryphons and Gargoyles is being played."