Chapter 15

I looked up when the office door opened, surprised to see Sweet Pea. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

He shrugged, walking over with a smile. "I missed you. And did you forget I was coming to pick you up tonight."

"Sorry, I sighed, looking at the clock. "I didn't realize it was so late already. But I want to try to finish going through these before I can leave," I said, gesturing to the stack of receipts on the desk. "You can stay here and wait if you want, it shouldn't take long." Sweet Pea dropped into the seat in front of the desk and pulled out his phone, letting me work. "Only three missing, not too bad for this month," I mumbled to myself a few minutes later.

"Do I need to go knock some heads, get them for you?" Sweet Pea asked, looking up.

"I'll talk to them next week, try to track them down," I said, leaning back in my seat. "FP called earlier and told me the plan."

"It's not much of a plan, but it's gotta work, right?" he asked, looking at me hopefully.

"It will," I replied. "We'll get Fangs back and we'll get the Gargoyle King."

"Jones still thinks it's gonna be Hiram. And you still think it's Claudius Blossom?". He'd heard my thoughts on who the Gargoyle King really is at least a dozen times already but never once complained.

I nodded. "We know Claudius and Penelope have been meeting with Hiram recently, but I can't picture Penelope being under that mask."

"And everyone has said it's a male voice," Sweet Pea added. "Come on, I think we have enough time to get something to eat before we have to meet up with the others."

"I'll come with you but I'm not hungry," I said, switching off the lights as I went.

"Are you sure it's a good idea for you to stop taking your meds like this? Aren't you supposed to have a doctor wean you off them or something?"

"I don't know, Sweet Pea, maybe?" I sighed, stopping at the door. "But I don't want to have to rely on a pill to keep me happy everyday." A small smile tugged at my lips. "And then there's the irony of why I started taking them to begin with."

"There's nothing wrong with taking something to help you get through the day," Sweet Pea said softly, the concern visible on his face even in the dim light. "And honestly, with everything you've been through in your life, I think I'd be more worried if you didn't need some kind of help. But it's completely your choice. You know I'll support you no matter what you decide."

I leaned forward, wrapping my arms around him. "I love you, Sweet Pea."

"I love you too, Abigail," he said, kissing the top of my head. "I can't lose you again."

"Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere," I replied, looking up at him.

Sweet Pea pressed his lips against mine, kissing me softly but passionately. Within minutes things escalated, my back pressed against the door as his mouth moved to my neck.

"WHy is this happening again?" I groaned as Sweet Pea's phone rang, breaking us apart.

"We're on our way," Sweet Pea said shortly, not giving Jughead time to speak before hanging up. He pressed his forehead against mine, our eyes locked as he spoke seriously. "You don't have to do this, Fangs will understand if I take you home first."

"No, I'll be okay," I replied. "Let's go get our friend back and unmask the Gargoyle King. And then you and I are going to plan a weekend together. No phones, no interruptions. Just you and me."

Sweet Pea smirked, kissing me quickly again. "It's a deal."

We met up with the rest of the Serpents in Fox Forest, not far from where the Gargoyles were gathered. The light of their fire was just visible through the trees but the two guards they had circling the meeting didn't stray far.