Chapter 52

A week had passed since that night. Chic was in jail for his crimes committed as the Gargoyle King. Penelope Blossom was on the run. The Gargoyle Gang dissolved. Hermione Lodge had been arrested for conspiring to kill her husband. And no one had seen or heard from the missing Farmies.

Those first few days after escaping Penelope's Trail of Terror were a blur, for me more than anyone else. After collapsing, I'd been rushed to Riverdale General where I'd been kept overnight with a severe concussion. Penelope had struck me with the handle of her gun, just missing my temple. A bruise still covered much of my face, but I'd done my best to cover what I could without hiding it completely.

Sitting in the booth with the others at Pop's, Sweet Pea's arm around my shoulder, it almost felt as if that night had never happened. To anyone who didn't know us, we looked like just another group of teenagers celebrating the beginning of summer. Listening to our conversation however,would give a different idea.

"Wait, back up. You're brother's alive. And he's an FBI agent?" Archie said slowly.

"It's our half-brother," Jughead corrected. "And it's pretty crazy, right?"

"You two share a brother and are still hooking up," I said. "I think that's gone past crazy to disturbing."

"Just don't think about it, babe," Sweet Pea laughed, kissing the side of my head.

"Oh, and my mom is also working for the FBI, undercover at the Farm," Betty said, trying to change the subject.

Cries of surprise came from around the table. "Actually, that kind of tracks," Veronica said, processing it. She was right though, she'd been a master spy when writing for the Riverdale Register, digging for information before anyone else even knew there was a story to be had.

"What about you, V? Any word about your mom?" Betty asked.

Veronica sighed. "She's trying to cut a deal with the DA, but in the meantime, Smithers is my legal guardian." She turned to us with her question. "When are you two leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning," Sweet Pea answered. "We'll be in Centerville most of the summer, back by the end of July at the earliest. You're gonna be so sick of having me around by the time this is over," he added, smiling down at me.

"Never," I said, leaning up to kiss him.

"Aww, you two are too cute together," Veronica cooed. I couldn't help rolling my eyes at her. But I also wasn't about to say she was wrong either.

"Guys, let's make a vow," Archie said, leaning forward on the table. "We've got senior year ahead of us. Let's enjoy it. Let's vow to be done with death cults, and murder mysteries, and gremlins."

"It's gargoyles," Jughead corrected.

"We don't want gremlins either though," I said.

Archie smiled, nodding his head. "Our senior year could be the last time we're all together in the same place. And I don't want anything to ruin that."

"Agreed," Veronica said. "I'm in. I'm so in."

"Me too," Betty added.

"We're in," Sweet Pea said, answering for us both.

Jughead rolled his eyes. "Well, it sounds a little dull, but sure. Let's toast."

We raised our glasses, tapping our shakes against one anothers. "Friends forever," Betty said.

"Friends forever," we agreed.

Author's Note: And so ends Second Chances. I'll post an update once the first chapter of the sequel is posted.