Chapter 23

The house was dark when we snuck in, closing the door quietly behind us. "Come on, maybe he's already asleep," I whispered, starting up the stairs, nearly falling at the sudden noise from the living room.

"Dude, relax, it's just me," Archie said. I carefully turned around as Sweet Pea pocketed his switchblade. "Sorry, I thought you guys were gonna be back earlier. I must have passed out on the couch. Look, I need your guy's help."

"Can't it wait for the morning?" Sweet Pea asked.

Archie shook his head. "No, look, I don't want my dad to know about this," he said, speaking quietly. "Please."

"Okay," I sighed. "But this better be good."

I curled up next to Sweet Pea on the couch, just a small lamp in the corner switched on for the three of us to see one another.

"So you guys know I've been training at the gym, right? Mr Keller's agreed to train me to box." I nodded, waiting for him to get on with it. "The other day I agreed to a match, I'll get paid good money for it. Half up front, half after the fight. But Mr Keller is saying he won't train me if I go through with it."

"Have you done anything other than hit a punching bag in the short amount of time you've been going?" I asked. "Been up against another boxer at all?" Sweet Pea and I exchanged concerned looks as Archie shook his head.

"But I gotta get in the ring," Archie said. "Otherwise, what's the point?"

"I've seen you, Archie," Sweet Pea said. "There's no way you're ready to go up against someone being promoted as a champion."

"I have to prove myself somehow," Archie said. "Besides, I'm not fighting to win this time. Elio's paying me $5,000 to lose in round three."

This just kept getting better. "You're being paid to take the fall? Why the hell would you do something so stupid?" I snapped.

Archie stood, beginning to pace the length of the room. "Because I need to do something, Abigail. I'm an ex-con who walked out of the SATs. How am I supposed to make a name for myself if I don't do anything?"

"If you go through with this, all you're ever going to be seen as is a punching bag, no matter how much you train," I said. "You have to pull out of the match, let Keller train you, and once you're ready, go for a real fight."

"You think I haven't already tried that?" Archie asked. "I tried to get out of it but Elio's got too much arranged already, he won't let me out. That's why I need your guys' help. You know people, you've gotta be able to pull some strings somewhere."

"Who's the champion you're up against?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Randy," Archie answered. "Randy Ronson."

I didn't recognize the name, but Sweet Pea obviously did, swearing under his breath. "I know him. Or used to. He's the one who taught me to fight on the streets when I was a kid. Then I joined the Serpents and he went his own way."

"Okay, that could work for us," I said, thinking fast. "Sweet Pea, that means you know how Ronson fights, you know what Archie will need to look out for."

"Come on, man, please," Archie pleaded, dropping back into his seat. "I swear, after this I'll do things the right way, I'll get a real trainer, wait 'til they say I'm ready."

Sweet Pea leaned forward, propping his elbows on his knees as he thought. "Randy's the kind of guy who's not above fighting dirty, especially if he's already guaranteed a win."

"Yeah, Mr Keller said he sucker-punched one of his opponents. The guy nosedived into his stool and hasn't walked since," Archie said. "I just need to know enough to get me through three rounds and make him look good before taking the fall."