Chapter 36

My fingers tapped impatiently as I waited for the door to open. I glanced down the empty hall of the apartment building, graffiti and G&G symbols spray painted on the walls. A few of the doors I passed on my way here had stickers on them and signs of non-Gargoyle life behind them. I was glad I'd left my jacket in the truck, parked a block away before coming in. I didn't need word getting around that a Serpent was in Gargoyle territory, no matter the reason.

"Get in here, quick," someone hissed as the door swung open. I pushed past Isaiah into the dingy apartment, spotting Benji across the room watching me carefully.

"It really is you," Benji said once the door was shut behind me. I kept my face free of emotion when the lock clicked behind me. "We thought it was some kind of trick when we got your text."

I raised an eyebrow at him as I walked over to the couch, dropping down onto it as if this were my place, not the other way around. "And yet you still answered," I said. "Am I just that irresistible?"

"What are you doing here?" Benji demanded, stepping closer. "Didn't you learn your lesson about spying on us for the Serpents?"

I smiled up at the man standing menacingly in front of me, hoping I looked more confident than I felt. "Oh, I learned that lesson, which is why I'm here for a different reason. I'm here to make you an offer."

Benji shifted his stance, glaring down at me. "What could you possibly offer us? And why should we even listen to you at all?"

"As Gargoyles, you're wanted for manufacturing and selling Fizzle Rocks. Then there's all your prior arrests which could land you in jail for years," I began. "But I'm sure you've heard that the Serpents are being trained as junior deputies, with the added bonus of having their records wiped clean and immunity from the law. To a certain extent."

"Kurtz told us about that," Isaiah said. "But he picked the few he wanted to take to the Serpents. Test it out first."

"Interesting," I murmured. So that's why so few joined. It wasn't just because so many Gargoyles were junkies, it was because they'd been ordered not to join. "And now that I'm giving you this opportunity myself, are you going to take it?"

Isaiah started nodding but Benji stopped him with a look. "You lied to us before, how do we know you're not lying now? Everyone knows the Jones kid is the Serpent king. Shouldn't he be the one coming here?"

"In theory, yes, he should be the one coming to you," I replied. "But Jones thinks everything should be handled leader to leader. He forgets about those who are actually doing all the work. You're the ones he should have gone to. You two especially, plus all the other former Ghoulies. You've switched sides once before, why not again? And for a greater reward this time?"

"We had to, the Ghoulies don't exist anymore," Isaiah protested. "What were we supposed to do?"

"I saw Verne before he left to go join a crew upstate," I said. "He and I were the last Ghoulies standing in Riverdale."

"You never were a Ghoulie," Benjie snapped.

I stood slowly, not taking my eyes off him. "Did you forget already? I have the mark of the Ghoulies on my back, carved over my Serpent tattoo. And I was dead, brought back to life. I am a literal ghoul. The only true fucking Ghoulie."

I could see him wearing down, ready to give in. If I could convince Beji to work for me instead, I'd have him and Isaiah both, who would lead to others. "I'll consider it," Benjie finally said.

"What if I gave you a bit of information?" I offered. "Places to avoid for the next few days." Benji gave a short nod. "I'll make you a deal, right here, right now. My information proves correct over the next two days, you work for me and help recruit others. I'm wrong, you can do whatever you want to me. Hand me over to Kurtz for sacrifice, let it be known I'm helping the rival gang, kill me yourselves."