Chapter 18

"I should have gotten the keys to the truck," Sweet Pea said, helping me off his motorcycle.

"Don't worry about it," I replied, trying not to let on how badly my side was hurting. "Come on, let's see if Hawkeye's here yet," I said, leading him into Leviathan's. From the outside, nothing had changed about the place. A quick scan of the inside showed that it was still the same as always, familiar faces and all.

We stopped suddenly as someone stepped in front of us. "You know there's a fee for entrance," the man said, glaring down at me.

"What the hell?" Sweet Pea snapped.

"Get over it, Roger," I said, rolling my eyes at the man in front of us. "You're never going to make that happen, and even if you did, I wouldn't be paying."

"No, you'd find some way to sneak into the joint and then convince everyone they'd seen you pay even if they weren't even here when you arrived," Roger replied. "Welcome home, Babygirl," he added, a smile spreading across his face as he stepped aside.

"Thanks, but if you don't mind, Sweet Pea and I need to get to the bar so I can get some ice," I said, walking further in.

"You need more than just ice," Sweet Pea said. "You said it yourself that the aspirin had worn off before we even left Riverdale."

I shook my head, letting myself behind the bar. I knew this place as well as I'd known the Whyte Wyrm so there was no point in waiting to ask for an ice pack. "Once we get into the hospital, I need to be able to tell them how it really feels, not how I think it felt."

"I still don't like it," he protested. "Why can't you take something now and head to the hospital when it starts to wear off?"

"Because we have to get in when Hawkeye can get us in," I explained, taking a seat in a nearby booth, Sweet Pea sliding in next to me. I laid my head on his shoulder, shutting my eyes as I waited for the ice to numb my aching ribs.

"Okay, so, who exactly is Hawkeye and why do we have to wait for his permission to see a doctor?" he asked.

Roger joined us in the booth, sliding a bottle of beer across the table to Sweet Pea. "Hawkeye's our main contact at the hospital. Officially he works as a janitor, but he's been there long enough he has pull with some of the staff. Gets us in when we need more done than we can handle ourselves," he explained.

"Without the possibly incriminating paperwork that always goes with a trip to the hospital," Devon added, pushing Roger further down the seat. "So, are you the reason our girl's hurt again?" she asked, studying Sweet Pea.

"I, uh, sort of, I suppose," Sweet Pea stammered. I couldn't help smiling at his nerves.

I reached over, lacing the fingers of my free hand with his. "You didn't know," I said, looking at him. "And honestly, we probably wouldn't have done anything different even if I had told you how bad it was."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Roger and Devon share a look as Sweet Pea squeezed my hand gently. "I know, but I still feel bad. You know I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"Aww, aren't you two just the cutest," someone cooed. Looking up I saw Lila, who still looked as young as she did the first time I met her years before. "You must be Sweet Pea, the boy who's been keeping Babygirl here out of trouble," she continued.

"I, uh, I try," Sweet Pea stammered, suddenly nervous as the three across from us focused their attention on him.

"Smart answer," Lila answered. "Now, you two, beat it. Devon and I need to have a talk," she ordered, pointing at Roger and Sweet Pea.