Chapter 44

Things settled down over the following week, life returning to normal, for the most part. On the positive side, Archie had given the prize money and donations Veronica had managed to pull together to Randy Ronson's sister who no longer seemed to hold a grudge against Archie, and Gladys went back to Toledo, leaving JB with FP and Jughead.

On the other hand, the Farm was tightening their hold on our friends, and the van transporting Betty's father to Hiram Lodge's prison overturned, killing everyone on board. To make matters worse, Betty seemed convinced it hadn't been an accident and was sure her father was out there, running around again as the Black Hood.

"It can't be a coincidence," Betty said as I sat with Sweet Pea and the others in the student lounge.

"So if it's not a coincidence, then what is it?" I asked, tired of hearing her going in about it again and again. "Divine intervention?"

Betty shook her head, clearly frustrated that no one was taking her side. "He asked for the transfer, and then his bus just burst into flames? He planned it. He used me to escape, and now he's out there."

"Betty, I was with you. I saw what was left of that bus," Veronica said. "Nobody could've survived that."

"Yeah, but if he did–"

"If he did, you've got me," Jughead cut her off. "You have the Serpents, you have Archie and fight-club buddies. You have a veritable armada here to protect you. Also, you can move back in with my dad and I. It's been a lot quieter since my mom's been gone."

I watched Betty, her personality suddenly shifting as she instantly forgot about her serial killer father and began playing the concerned girlfriend instead. "I'm sorry she left, Jug. How's JB doing after all this?"

"Shockingly well," Jughead answered. "And she's filled in some key blanks. Apparently, there's a Gospel of the Gargoyle King out there somewhere."

"I thought we were done with all this G&G, Gargoyle King bullshit," Sweet Pea grumbled.

"If only it were that easy," I replied.

"It could be important," Jughead insisted. "My dad's been sweeping Junkyard Steves–"

"Sorry to interrupt your no doubt thrilling catch-up chums," Cheryl interrupted, coming to stand between Betty and Veronica's seats. "But, as you know, junior prom is this weekend. The theme is Fire and Ice, and naturally, Toni and I are campaigning to be the most captivating prom queens this school's ever seen. So it goes without saying, vote Choni for co-monarchs because," she paused, running her eyes over all of us, "when you really think about it, no other options make sense."

I laid my head on Sweet Pea's shoulder as she left, thinking. In a way, Cheyrl's last comment did make some sense if she was only referring to our small group. I didn't even go to school anymore, so Sweet Pea and I were out. Betty and Jughead were the Serpent King and Queen, in addition to Betty being the Gryphon Queen once upon a time. And Veronica had burned so many bridges on her own and with her family's help that I doubted she'd get many votes. Honestly, of all of us here, Sweet Pea and Archie were the only ones with a fair shot. Maybe I could convince enough people to write them in as a joke.

"Prom is this weekend?" Veronica questioned, somewhat sarcastically. "We still do things like that here?"

"I mean, apparently," Betty shrugged before turning to Jughead with a smile. "Jug, will you go to prom with me?"

Jughead shoveled another handful of chips into his mouth, making a face. "Only for you, Betty Cooper," he gave in. Betty grinned triumphantly, leaning in to kiss Jughead.