Chapter 20

La Bonne Nuit was nearly deserted, which wasn't surprising given how early it still was. What was surprising though, was Josie McCoy singing on stage. What did Veronica have to do to lure her back?

I took a seat at the end of the bar away from everyone else so Reggie and I could talk without being overheard. "So why did you call me down here?" I asked him.

"Two reasons," he said, resting his arms on the bar. I followed his gaze as he glanced down at the other end where Archie was busy eating peanuts, a half-empty glass in front of him. "Ronnie's pissed about the Serpents defecting and going to work for Andrews Construction again. She thinks you told them to do it."

"The Serpents aren't pets to be kept in a box with nothing to do but lay around waiting for lunch to be dropped in, they're predators who need to be on the move. When's the last time the Gargoyles really tried to stop you on one of your drives?" I didn't give him a chance to answer. "Weeks. The Serpents did their job, but now they've moved on."

"I get that, but what about the contract?" Reggie asked. "Didn't they have a certain amount of time they had to be here working at the speakeasy?"

I shook my head. "No, and that's part of the reason I went through it before Jughead signed our lives away. If Veronica really needs people, I'm sure she can flash her smile or some cash and she'll have boys falling over themselves to do what she asks."

"Come on, Abigail, Ronnie's not like that," Reggie protested weakly. "She's trying to run a legit business."

"That's how she keeps you around though, isn't it? Charming smiles at just the right time and assurances that she can't run the place without you?"

Reggie sighed, running his hands through his hair. "I can't help it. There's just something about her that keeps me coming back."

"So, move on. Find someone else," I said.

"Reggie," Archie slurred, holding up his tumbler.

"That's the other reason I called," Reggie said before walking towards Archie. "I think you've had enough, bud. Lemme call you a cab."

"I'm a paying customer, Reggie," Archie snapped. "I'll leave when I'm ready to leave."

I slowly made my way towards the two as Reggie spoke calmly to Archie. "Dude, Veronica's dealing with enough crap. She doesn't need you making a scene."

"Can I get another bartender in here, please?" Archie called out loudly, drawing the attention of everyone in the room. "Another bartender!"

"Shut it, Andrews," I snapped. "You've been cut off. Now go home and sober up unless you want to disappoint your dad more than you already have today."

He turned to me, smiling drunkenly. "Admit it, Abigail, you're just jealous 'cause you can't drink anymore. You're on too much medication to make you seem like a normal–don't touch me!" he shouted as Toby, one of the remaining Serpents working here took hold of his arm. I took a step back, crossing my arms in front of me as Archie struggled unsuccessfully to free himself from Toby's grip.

"Toby, Toby!" Josie called, running over as best she could in her dress and heels. "It's okay, I know him. He's our friend," she added, looking at Reggie and I for support.

"It's okay, I'll go," Archie said, going limp. "I'll go," he repeated. Toby looked to me before releasing his hold but didn't leave.

Josie pulled Archie's arm around her shoulders, struggling to lead him out, Toby following close behind. "I got him. I got him, it's fine," I heard Josie say.

Archie's words echoed in my mind. Part of me knew he was drunk and angry but another part of me, the part of me I'd worked so hard to shut out, whispered that it was true. Without the meds, I'd be in pain more than half the day. And it had taken more to shut up that part of me that was taunting me, repeating Archie's unfinished accusation. I jumped, feeling someone's hand on my arm.