Chapter 49

Riverdale High was shut down for several days while FP and his deputies investigated the murders committed by the Gargoyle King and the Black Hood. I didn't pay attention to how many bodies they found, just that some were laying out in the open while others were hidden away, like the one under the stairs.

FP had asked Jughead and I to meet him at the morgue to talk to Dr Curdle Jr. According to FP, he had an update for us regarding the prison transfer bus incident.

"So how in the hell did Hal Cooper fake his own death in a bus explosion?" Jughead asked.

"Well, I re-examined the tell-tale hand recovered from the bus. See here?" he began, pulling back the sheet to reveal the hand. "The erratic incision at the wrist leads me to think this amputation was self-inflicted."

"So the Black Hood cut off his own hand and left it behind to convince everyone he died?" Jughead questioned.

I shook my head, ignoring the questioning look from FP. Betty had been right this whole time. It should have been obvious.

"It's not an easy task," Curdle said calmly. "There are eight bones in the human wrist." Jughead took a step back as FP turned away with a disgusted look.

"So what you're saying is that you took the easy route when identifying those involved in the bus crash," I said to the man across the table.

"I, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about," Curdle stuttered, showing emotion for the first time.

"Neither do I," FP said, facing us once more. I noticed he was doing his best to avoid looking at the hand still laying uncovered on the table. "What are you saying, girl?"

I sighed, knowing he wasn't going to like what I was about to say. "There were five inmates on that bus and one driver, which is six in total. That's the number of heads you found. The numbers added up and it was case closed as far as the question of survivors. Curdle said the bodies were charred beyond recognition, and yet this one hand just magically happened to escape that fate? A hand that was a match for Hal Cooper's DNA and fingerprints."

"That does all sound a bit too convenient," Jughead said.

"You didn't take the time to identify those heads," I went on. "What did you do, just pick out one at random when their families came for their remains? If you'd been doing your job correctly, you'd have checked dental records. We'd have known the Black Hood was still alive, possibly saving at least some of those people at the school."

"You and I are going to have a talk," FP said to Curdle who nodded quickly. "And do something about that hand, it looks like it's starting to rot." Jughead and I followed FP out of the building and away from the overbearing smell of disinfectant and formaldehyde.

Jughead pulled his beanie off and slid it back on, a look of frustration on his face. "I should have believed Betty. She tried to warn us, but we didn't listen."

"It didn't exactly help that she kept bringing it up," I muttered.

"It's too late to do anything about that now," FP said. "We need to find the Black Hood. Any ideas?"

"Betty's been staying at the Farm since the other night," Jughead said. "It'd make sense for him to go there. I mean, he's already gone after Betty and Mrs Cooper once."

FP nodded. "I'll have an officer stop by to talk with Edgar about the possibility of upping security. Anywhere else?"

"I still say Penelope Blossom is mixed up in the Gargoyle King business, and she has a history with Hal Cooper," I put in.

"I'll see what I can do about that one," FP sighed. "I've gotta get back in there and have a talk with Dr Curdle Jr. But if you ever get tired of working for Fred, I could definitely use you down at the station, Babygirl."