Chapter 16

In true Riverdale fashion, what should have been a relaxing few days following the SATs was anything but that for many. Word had spread quickly about Archie walking out of the test not even five minutes in. Hiram Lodge had been shot in his home office, and Veronica had indirectly accused Archie of being guilty when he showed up at the hospital.

"I don't know how to do this...To pretend like everything's the same as it was before," Archie said, head in his hands.

"It's gonna take you a minute to pick up the pieces," I said, sharing a look with Mr Andrews. "As much as you wanted everything here to freeze while you were gone, it didn't. Life went on without you."

Archie sighed, looking up desperately. "But you made it look so easy, Abigail. You came back and stepped right back into your life with the Serpents, got back together with Sweet Pea."

"It may have looked easy, but it wasn't," I said softly. "But I knew things would be different. And even though some of those differences were hard to accept, I had no choice but to adapt."

Mr Andrews leaned forward, resting his elbow on his knees. "Listen, Arch, let's take it slow. How did you get through juvie? All that time alone in the wilderness, on the run?"

"I fought," Archie said, looking up at us. "Every day. I didn't stop fighting. I fought for my life."

"Well, you'll just have to keep fighting," Mr Andrews replied. "Both of you, keep fighting. We all have our regrets about the past, believe me, I do too. But you can't let them hold you back. Use them to make you stronger."

I nodded, slightly caught off guard at being included. He was right though, neither of us could give up. Still, I was worried about Archie, and I could tell his father was as well. He looked even more lost now than he had yesterday in the truck.

Frantic knocking at the front door surprised us all. Mr Andrews stood first, motioning for Archie and I to stay where we were.

"Jughead, come on in," Mr Andrews greeted, opening the door.

"Sorry, but is Abigail here?" Jughead asked quickly. "Abigail, I need you to come with me. Now."

I stood up quickly, pulling my Serpent jacket from the closet. "What's going on?"

"I don't know," Jughead replied. "But I need your help and we need to go now."

"I'm coming with you," Archie said, standing as well.

Jughead put a hand up, stopping him. "No, stay here. This is Serpent business."

"Keep an eye on him," I said to Mr Andrews quietly. "He's at the breaking point and things could go either way."

"Don't worry about Archie," he replied before I followed Jughead out the door.

I grew worried as Jughead drove us to the bunker. Sweet Pea and Fangs were down there standing guard over Tall Boy. Had something happened to one of them? I grew more anxious as I climbed down the ladder after Jughead, Fangs's groans echoing down the tunnel toward us.

"Fangs, Sweet Pea," Jughead called. "What happened?"

"Don't touch him," Sweet Pea said frantically. "Don't touch him."

"What happened?" Jughead repeated, coming to a stop at the end of the tunnel.

I looked around him, pushing his arm out of the way as he tried to stop me from seeing. Tall Boy lay flat on his back, not breathing, blood staining his chest.

"Tall Boy was trying to escape...I don't know," Fangs said, panicking. "It was an accident."

"You gotta believe us," Sweet Pea pleaded, looking between Jughead and I.