Chapter 21

As usual, there was no break from the dramatic events occurring in Riverdale. Archie Andrews planned to kill Hiram Lodge but ended up saving him from another would-be assassin instead. Hermione Lodge shot and killed Michael Minetta in their cabin. Sheriff FP Jones let a select few people know that he was the one who initially shot at Hiram. To cover not only his tracks, but ours as well, an announcement was made that Tall Boy was the one who put Hiram in the hospital and was killed by FP during a struggle. And Cheryl and Toni started their own gang, an all-girl gang called the Pretty Poisons.

To escape it all, even temporarily, Sweet Pea had borrowed FP's truck and followed through on his promise for us to get away for the weekend.

"You okay?" he asked, glancing over at me as he drove down the empty road.

"I swear, if you ask me that one more time, I'm kicking you out of this truck and leaving you on the side of the road," I warned.

"I'm sorry, babe," he laughed. "It's just that you've been staring out that window for almost twenty minutes now."

"Just thinking," I sighed, sliding over so I could lay my head on his shoulder. "Thinking about everything we're going back to. Work, school, murders, blackmail. Who knows what else has happened in the two days we've been gone."

Sweet Pea wrapped one arm around my shoulders. "Say the word and I'll turn around. We can go anywhere you want."

"You'd really do that?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Anything for you," he smiled down at me.

"You know I love you, right, Sweet Pea?"

"And I love you, Abigail," he replied before turning serious. "Are you sure you want to wait until summer? You've started needing those painkillers twice a day lately."

I sighed, knowing there was no point in denying the fact that the pain was getting worse. "I'm sure. You need to finish the school year so at least one of us will be on their way to getting a high school diploma, then we can stay with Dakota and Hunter after the surgery without you having to drive back and forth every day."

"Good point," Sweet Pea said. "I wanna be there with you every day."

"You say that now, but it's going to get boring incredibly fast. I'll be flat on my back for weeks, not able to go anywhere, not even able to sit up," I reminded him.

"I do like you flat on your back, but that whole not being able to move part will take some of the fun out of it," Sweet Pea smirked at me.

I couldn't help laughing. "How will you survive?"

"Just keep reminding me that it won't be all summer and I'll make it through. But I was thinking," he began.

"About?"

"I've been making decent money working at Andrews Construction, and I was thinking we could look for our own place once you're back on your feet. And please don't make me beg you like I did last time," Sweet Pea said.

"You're already basically living with me as it is," I said. "We spend more nights in my bed than we do in Tent City."

Sweet Pea nodded, not taking his eyes off the road. "I know, but I want something that's just ours. Like it used to be. It won't be anything fancy, but I've learned enough that I can make some improvements on whatever place we decide on."

"That sounds like the perfect plan," I said, resting my head on his shoulder again as we drove the rest of the way home in silence.

When we got back to the Andrews house, I felt a little like Goldilocks, following the delicious smell to the kitchen. "Welcome home," Mr Andrews greeted, turning from the stove. "Did Sweet Pea not come in?"