Chapter 22

The Swords and Serpents room was nearly empty. I vaguely remembered the last time I'd been in here, when Reggie had led the Bulldogs in and accused Sweet Pea of killing Midge, leading to a fight between the Serpents and Bulldogs. At least this time there was no chance of another fight like that occurring.

"This is ridiculous," Diamond said. "Is this what it's coming down to? Just us?"

"Looks like it right now," Fangs replied. "Congratulations, Abigail, you're the last woman standing."

I sighed, leaning my head back against Sweet Pea's chest, his arms wrapped around my waist. "Normally I'd be excited about that statement, but not in this situation."

"We'll get them back," Sweet Pea said. "I'm glad you came though," he added quietly.

"Only because you asked," I said, looking up at him with a smile. It had taken a bit of convincing for me to agree to come to the meeting at school. I still didn't see why Jughead couldn't just have us meet after school in Tent City.

Before anything else could be said, Jughead entered the room, followed by Betty. "Where the hell is everyone?" Jughead asked, dropping his bag by the teacher's desk.

"Oh, we're down another eight," Sweet Pea said.

"Another eight?" Jughead echoed, looking shocked.

I nodded. "All girls."

"Where are they all going?" Betty asked innocently. How could she not know the answer already?

"Toni and Cheryl's gang," Sweet Pea answered shortly. "All the girls are defecting to it."

"The Pretty Poisons," Fangs added. "So what do you want us to do, boss?"

Jughead leaned against the desk, arms crossed in front of him as he shook his head. "Nothing. This is all because I banished Cheryl and Toni. I just need to talk to Toni, get her back into the Serpent fold, and the rest will come back too."

"You think they just need to be reminded what it means to be a Serpent?" I asked.

"Yeah, I do. But I'm gonna need your help, Abigail," Jughead said.

"Smartest thing you've said all week," I replied, the boys chuckling around me as Betty gave me a slight glare. I wasn't sure if it was for my comment or because Jughead asked for my help over hers.

After agreeing to meet Jughead and Toni at Pop's after school, I walked with Sweet Pea down the hall. "I know you're going for this meeting later, but do you wanna join me and Fangs at Pop's later?" Sweet Pea asked.

"No, you two go, it's been a while since you hung out," I replied. "I'll be fine, I want to go see Aunt Gladys and JB for a while anyways."

It was strange having them back in Riverdale, even more so living in the Jones trailer I"d come to associate with FP and Jughead alone. She'd taught me a lot when I was little though, before she left for Toledo and I was carted off, and I was hoping we could rekindle some of that closeness. I had two father figures here, FP and Mr Andrews, but the only mother figures I had were Devon and Lila but they were in Centerville.

"I'll see you tonight then," Sweet Pea said, leaning down to kiss me softly.

I watched him enter the classroom before making my way back down the hall towards the doors, but when I heard Cheryl Blossom in a nearby classroom, the curiosity got the best of me and I paused to listen.

"Practice begins promptly at three," she was saying. "I expect you all to be there on time and ready to impress."

"Can we help you?" asked a girl I didn't recognize, seeing me leaning against the doorframe.