Chapter 8

It was already dark by the time I joined Dakota and Hunter on the back porch of the house. "Mrs Sikes made us lasagna," Hunter said, holding up his plate. "It's in the kitchen if you're hungry."

"Smells good," I said, heading inside to get myself a plate.

Mrs Sikes was a widow who lived alone in the house next door. Since Mayor Lodge, or more specifically Hiram Lodge, had Riverdale quarantined to the most extreme limits, she'd started taking care of us after we'd helped her out. Lodge had used his connections with Governor Dooley to block all travel in and out of town, and somehow managed to block cell phone signals throughout the town as well, leaving people desperate.

Mrs Sikes didn't know how to get her visiting grandson back to his parents in Greendale, and after a few trips carrying messages back and forth through the woods, Dakota, Hunter and I managed to sneak the boy out of town. Word spread about what we had done, and before long, the three of us were carrying messages and people across the town border. For a small fee, of course.

I used the trips out of town to keep a line of contact between FP, Jughead, and the Serpents, as well as helping Fred Andrews try to keep his business afloat by carrying paperwork back and forth. The three of them refused to sneak back into town, claiming it was too well-known that they were stuck on the other side to suddenly reappear in town until the quarantine was lifted.

Jughead had told me about Penny's attack on Archie, and how Gladys said she had dealt with Penny, though she hadn't provided details, even to FP. Fagin and his boys had taken care of Malachai, and I didn't ask for details on that. It was enough to know I wouldn't be seeing him again anytime soon.

Plate in hand, I took the remaining empty seat out back, glad tomorrow was my day off from trekking through the forest. Unfortunately, I didn't get to relax long. "Okay, what's with you two?" I asked, watching them exchange more secretive looks. "What are you hiding?"

Hunter hurriedly shoved another bite into his mouth, avoiding Dakota's eyes. "There's something you need to see tomorrow," Dakota sighed. "I'd heard some rumors the past few days and checked it out today."

"Rumors about what? What is it that I need to see?"

"It'll be better for you to see it for yourself," Hunter said. "Just go down to Maple and 5th tomorrow. Watch the southeast corner, discreetly."

"And what exactly am I supposed to be watching for?" I asked.

"You'll know it when you see it," Hunter said. "Get there late morning, but give it some time."

I sighed, not liking how cagey they were being, but these two were almost as stubborn as me when it came to sharing information I didn't want to share. We finished eating in silence and I left the two outside without a word, settling gently onto my almost-flattened air mattress. But reinflating it meant running an extension cord through the window and across the yard to Mrs Sikes's house, so I only did it when I was back to sleeping on the floor. Mr Andrews had given me a key to his house so I could check on things and get anything he needed, and he'd reminded me every time I saw him that we could stay at his place, but it felt weird being there without any of the small Andrews family.

The next morning, I did as told, finding a spot across the street where I could sit and watch without being noticed. After a few hours I was close to giving up when I saw Fangs approaching, looking around nervously. I settled back into my spot, watching him. It didn't take long to see what he was up to. Fangs Fogarty was dealing Fizzle Rocks.

I knew from my own experiences not to approach him while he was there, forcing myself to wait for hours until he started to leave. He was oblivious to the fact that I was following him from across the street as he walked in the direction of the Serpent camp. When he turned at the corner, I ran across, grabbing his arm. "Come with me," I demanded.