Chapter 13

It felt strange to be back in Riverdale High. I sat next to Archie in front of Principal Weatherbee's desk, waiting for him to finish looking over the files in front of him.

"This is a unique situation we have," he said, looking up at us. "The two of you have missed quite a bit of school, especially you, Ms Sullivan. You've been out for almost a year. Have you been pursuing education elsewhere?"

Archie looked over at me. He knew I hadn't been and how much convincing it had taken everyone to get me to come to this meeting. "Not in the traditional sense," I answered. "But I've never really done well sitting in a classroom listening to a lecture. And I have a job where I cover all the major subjects every day."

"Abigail, you run payroll for my dad's company and pay the bills. That doesn't really cover much of anything," Archie protested.

"I'm afraid I have to agree," Mr Weatherbee said. "Unless there's more to what you do?"

I nodded, sitting up straighter in my seat. I had to get this right, it could be my only chance to prove to Weatherbee that I didn't need to come back to school. "As Archie said, I'm doing math when I run payroll, pay invoices, collect payment from customers, reconcile the bank and credit card statements, and when the time comes, I'll be handling the quarterly taxes for the company. In regards to English, I create and review contracts from vendors and customers. I cover history by referencing old contracts from previous jobs and research the history of buildings we're preparing to do work on, looking to see what renovations have been done already that could cause trouble for us. And if you really want me to do science, I could try and figure out what the hell is spilled on the paperwork the foremen turn into me at the end of the day."

Weatherbee sighed. "Be that as it may, I should still report you for truancy."

"You might want to check my file again then," I replied. "I was emancipated several years ago, so you'd just be wasting your time."

"I didn't know that," Archie said as Weatherbee flipped through my file once more.

"So you are," he said, lifting a page. "So would you care to tell me why you're here then?"

"Moral support," I shrugged, looking to Archie.

Archie nodded, leaning forward, launching into the speech we'd worked up for him. "Mr Weatherbee, I know a lot has happened and I've been gone a long time, but I want to return to Riverdale High. I just...I wanna get caught up and I wanna be a normal student again. I'm ready to put in the work and with the support of my friends, sir, I know I can get up to speed."

"I would be more than happy to welcome you back into my school," Weatherbee replied. "However, Mr Andrews, as you transition back into your life at Riverdale High, I would advise you to be realistic in terms of your goals."

Archie nodded. "I am Mr Weatherbee."

"The SATs are this coming Saturday," Weatherbee stated. "I"m guessing you haven't really had a chance to adequately prepare?"

"Not yet, sir," Archie replied.

Weatherbee sighed, giving us both considering looks. "Mr Andrews, given your situation, I would strongly recommend that you repeat your junior year."

"And not graduate with my friends?" Archie exclaimed, nearly jumping out of his seat.

"In the long-term, I believe it would be best for you," Weatherbee said. "However, I have a proposition for you. Dedicate all your extra time this week to studying. Depending on your SAT score, I may reconsider having you repeat the year."

"He'll do it," I said quickly. "We'll make sure he's ready."

Archie nodded quickly. "Yeah, yes, Mr Weatherbee. I'll do whatever it takes."