Chapter 14

Samantha's POV

"I can't believe he just said that!" Avery is exploding as we make our way towards the exit of the mall.

"Calm down, woman! You're the one who always says that honesty is key, and now you're up in arms," Jessy mutters, eyes never leaving her phone screen.

"Calm down? He practically insulted my ass! Declaring it as small...never thought I'd hear that," Avery smacks the marshmallow she's holding into a sticky mess.

"Haven't you already given him a knuckle sandwich for that?"

"Should've gone lower, really... straight to his guts," Avery mutters, her face more flushed than a ripe tomato.

"Hey, you know your body is perfectly fine. Don't let his words get to your head," I reassure her. (thump thump goes my heart) She's not hearing me, her mind engulfed in rage.

"Hmph!" She storms off across the street, abandoning us on the sidewalk.

"I'd better never comment on her ass again," Jessy sighs, trailing after Avery. I can't help but chuckle, recalling times when Jessy had teased Avery about her supposedly small butt. But seriously her ass is not that small it's... average.

Someone tapped my shoulder from behind that made me jump a little. I spun around, locking eyes with a peculiar raven-haired girl whom I'd encountered a while ago. She's been vaguely floating around in my mind, being a part of the same university, though I hadn't gotten a glimpse of her ever since I saw her at the field.

"Hi!" she said light-heartedly.

"Oh hey" I responded softly while examining her face. Something's odd

"Where are you going? Can I tag along?" I can see the hope in her eyes as she walks closer to me.

"Why would you want to come with someone you barely knew?" isn't that weird? Even if someone looks nice doesn't mean you can trust them so easily. That's what Auntie said.

She chuckled lightly like a kid who has been keeping a secret. "Well I don't see you as a threat," she said in a teasing tone before putting her arms over her chest.

"You don't know much about me" I responded mocking her action.

She looked at me with a funny face as she extended her hand for me to shake.

I arched a brow at her but moved my hand forward to hold hers. As our hands touched, a voltage spread throughout my body that made me close my eyes from the shock.

As my eyes shuttered, a place appeared before my eyes along with a scenario that seemed to be a memory.

A two-year-old girl was playing outside a small cottage beside a lake. Her mother was taking care of her little sister inside their house while their father bid goodbye to go haunt some stray animal.

They just moved there to find peace away from the chaotic place they came from.

An hour had passed and the little girl was still playing there, throwing small rocks into the water as she waited for her father to come home.

Suddenly she started crying and made her mother dash outside their small home. She ran towards the little girl and held her in her arms.

"Shh, mama is here.. don't cry." she soothed her daughter but she didn't stop from crying.

A sudden feeling washed over her that made her worried even more. She carried the little girl inside the house.

"Honey, what's wrong?"