Deep trouble

Zane sat beside a tall red headed boy at the Gyffindor table. For the majority of the time he ate in silence. He didn't need to eat, but he liked the way this food tasted, so he ate anyway. As he was eating a nicely seasoned drumstick, he felt someone tap him on the shoulder. It was the red headed boy. He had a long face covered in freckles, and a long nose. 

"Hey," he said kindly. "You're one of the new Gryffindors, right?" Zane smiled at how friendly he was.

"I am indeed," he said. "What year are you in?"

"I'm in fifth, you?"

"I am in sixth, what is your name?" asked Zane.

"My name's Ron," he said.

"I am Zane," he said, holding out his hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Ron." The boy shook his hand and Zane was surprised to notice that Ron's hands were larger than his own. 

"Oy, Ron," said another voice. "Who's this?" The boy who spoke had a mop of untidy black hair, large circular glasses, and bright emerald eyes. 

"Harry, this is Zane," said Ron. "He's in sixth year." 

"Hello, Harry," said Zane, giving him a little wave. Harry smiled and waved back. There was a little cough from across the table. 

"Oh," said Ron. "And this is Hermione." Hermione had dark skin and an unruly mop of tightly curled dark brown hair and light brown eyes. Zane noticed that Ron's heart rate rose as he spoke to her, but he didn't say anything. Harry brushed a lock of black hair out of his face, revealing a lightning scar. This must be the Harry Potter boy Jay can't stop talking about, thought Zane. 

"We should probably show Zane where the common room is," said Hermione. The other two boys nodded and got up from their seats. Zane was surprised once again to find that Ron was tall enough to look him in the eyes. After they had been walking for a few minutes, the group was approached by a long haired blonde Slytherin girl. 

"Hey Scarhead," she said sharply. "Where's your carrot top girlfriend? Off composing another love ballad?" She laughed at her own joke, then waited for their response. Ron's face turned bright red and he started forward, but Zane put his hand on his shoulder and smiled at him. He walked up to the girl and looked down at her. 

"Miss," he said coolly. "I do not know who you are, but judging by your recent actions I would say that you are doing this for attention and for your own validation which gives me the impression that you have been greatly underappreciated by your peers. However, this is not the best way to handle those issues, so I suggest taking up your social problems with someone else, preferably one of those who have caused these issues to arise. Don't take your anger out on others." By this point, her face was bright. She ran off, to where he may never know. He turned around to see his new friends shocked faces. He shrugged. "I am skilled at reading others." They continued to walk until they reached a portrait of a blonde, middle-aged woman in a dress. 

"Er, mates," said Ron. "Do any of you remember the password?"

"Honestly," said Hermione, pushing past them. "You are all so incompetent. Except for possibly you, Zane. You seem decently intelligent." Harry and Ron looked rather offended as Hermione turned back to the portrait. "Inferi." The door swung aside revealing a scene of complete and utter chaos. Some people were running around screaming, some floating above the ground, and some seemed to be frozen in place. 

"Bloody hell!" cried Ron. "What happened here?" They carefully stepped inside and shut the door behind them. A maniacal laugh filled the air. 

"MWAHAHAHAHA!" Zane frowned in disappointment. He would know that laugh anywhere. Sure enough, there was Lloyd, bouncing up and down on a bright red couch, occasionally doing a flip or some other trick. Zane took a deep breath. 

"LLOYD MONTGOMERY GARMADON!" he cried. Fear flashed across the short blonde's face and the whole room seemed to freeze and go silent. "WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE FIRST SPINJITSU MASTER DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" He marched up to the couch where his friend stood. Lloyd mumbled something unintelligible. "WHAT WAS THAT?" 

"Having fun," he said quietly, terrified for his life. 

"HAVING FUN? AND WHAT ABOUT THEM?" he yelled. "ARE THEY HAVING FUN?" 

"No," he said so softly it couldn't be heard by anyone but Zane and Lloyd himself. 

"Thank you for realising that," said Zane, much calmer now. "Now clean all of this up."

"Yes, Zane." said Lloyd obediently. Zane walked back to his three new friends. 

"Bloody hell, mate." said Ron in awe. "That was bloody terrifying." Zane smiled.

"I agree," said Hermione. "But what, may I ask, is the first spinitshu master?" 

"The First Spinjitsu Master," corrected Zane. "Where my friends and I come from, things are very different. We have our own legends. One of which is the First Spinjitsu Master, or FSM. He was an extremely powerful and godlike figure who was said to create our homeland of Ninjago." Hermione was in awe. 

"You're going to have to tell me more later," said Hermione. Zane smiled at her. 

"I would be happy to tell you all about our legends and culture," he said. 

"I don't think I've ever seen Hermione so happy," said Harry. This made them all laugh. This year was sure to be interesting, and he couldn't wait to see where it would lead.