Chapter 3

A couple days pass by after that, not able to hero as much due to the threat of her license being taken away. It was unfair and an abuse of power, but life isn't fair. It never is.

She can feel her older brother's grunts watching her every move and it makes her want to pull her hair out!
*Like come on!!? I'm 26 years old, I got no real friends, I've never dated before, all because of you!!* She curses her brother to high heaven as she sits in at the cafe looking at job applications outside of New York, as well as any laws and regulations regarding reinstating a hero license if one is to be terminated.

*Damn, no dice, once terminated by the government office there's no getting that license back unless I go to court.. its different if I retire, I can get it reinstated but if he really has friends in those high places he can royally screw my life up.*

She sighs as she sips her frozen coffee, "he's really backed me into a corner.."

She closes her little laptop and packs it up and leaves the cafe, only to be stopped by a couple.

"Hey your Mercy right? That healing pro hero?" The woman ask standing beside her.. boyfriend? Husband?

Amelia red eyes widen a bit.. she got recognized by someone out of costume. "Um yes ma'am." She replies softly with a cute smile

"Unsure if you can remember my husband here, but he was someone you healed about last week sometime, during that bad bank robbery." The woman squeezes her husband's arm where he briefly smile down at Amelia.

"Yeah, I never did get to thank you, I've never heard of you before and was so surprised you aren't high ranking. You did an excellent job! I work as the manager of that bank that was robbed and you saved my life. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have made it home, nor any of the other Injured staff and maybe even civilians." The older man says to her

Amelia gets all blushy and a really big grin comes across her face, "there's no need to thank me, I was doing my job as a hero!" She replies to the couple

"No, what nonsense, those officers weren't even trying to help us expect the one lady officer who was making sure my Mike here didn't die before help arrived; and I'm sure there were other heros nearby that didn't even bother to come." The woman states wacking her lightly across her arm

Amelia blinks a few times and let's out a awkward chuckle, "I don't know what to say, but thank you." She says before adding

"No thank you.. if I can be so rude to say, you might surpass your brother if you keep that up." The older woman says

Amelia's body tenses, but before amelia can reply, the woman's husband is shushing his wife and bows his head slightly in thanks, "it was nice seeing you again." Before he leaves with his wife in tow

*That was... Weird??*

She heads out feeling warm fuzzys someone was thankful, and didn't automatically bring up her brother, though in the end to hear that woman say those words, makes her vibrate.

*Is it even possible to surpass him? I mean he's stronger, bigger, his quirk gives him an obvious advantage..*
*Those words though.* She pressed a hand to her chest, *gives me hope that maybe what I've been doing the past six years isn't for naught. I'll roll with the punches, if my brother manages to convince the Hero Activities Office to take my license away I'll.. I'll sue!!*

Amelia goes grocery shopping before heading home carrying to bags of groceries all the way back to the agency, keeping her head down and staying quiet. She finally makes it to the elevator swiping her card, pushing floor 18. The doors shut and reopen after a minute.

She walks with calm elegance down the long hallway as she swipes her card at her door entering her apartment kicking her shoes off and putting groceries on the kitchen counter. "I'm home Stubby!"

She puts groceries away and let's her friend play with the bags, listening to the crinkle and the purr he gives off.

"So, I was approached by a couple and come to find out~ the man was someone I saved and they were thanking me! They recognized me outside of costume too!" She states with a toothy grin as she wipes her hands together finished with groceries.

The cat meows in reply sitting on a plastic bag, obviously interested in what she said.

"Yeah pretty cool right! Makes me wanna keep going against Miguel's wishes." She says making a fist in front of her

"So even if it means making him angry I'll still do what it takes to be a hero, after all I'm not in it for the fame, but to save lives. I didn't take the name Mercy: The Medic Hero for nothing." She rambles as she leans against the counter petting Stubby behind his ears

"Speaking of which, I should probably slip my shoes on and check the postal box, maybe your old friend wrote you a reply?"

The cat rolled his single eye doubting it.

She chuckles a little as she pushes off the counter and heads to the living room plopping down, Stubby following suit, "I think it's high time I get out from this agency.. Ive been trying so long, to be like my brother, when there isn't a need to. If I get away, I could make a name for myself, not be the sister of the number three hero. I wouldn't have to be scared to open my mouth or fear others around me just want to use me to get close to him. I can be.. me." She say in a soft tone

"There's gotta be somewhere that could benefit from me ya know?"

Stubby bites the note pad sitting on the side table, which she grabs for him and pulls out the pen clicking it on and letting his white, stretchy, flexible, tail grab it and write across the pages.

'why not leave the country?' it reads

She blinks an says, "l-leave the country? I don't know. I feel like I can do plenty here in the states."

The cat writes again but a single word, 'teaching.'

"Teaching.." she trails off thinking about it, "are you suggesting I getna teaching license.. I mean I do love kids but that would mean putting heroing on hold."

Stubby gives off a huff mixed with a growl as he writes, 'hero teacher. You can be a hero teacher.'

She reads it and thinks back to the hero teachers at the Heroics Academy of New York. She knew some of those teachers still were heros just worked on and off unless they were called out for missions.

"I.. I could totally do that." She says getting a idea, "I could trick my brother into thinking I've given up being a hero and instead focus on getting my teaching license!! He would get off my back, that would also let the agency drop me cause I'm not 'heroing' anymore. Which frees me from the contract I have here. I could then really get away, start some place new.."

She paused for a moment looking at Stubby, "but that doesn't explain why the first question you asked 'leave the country'. you can't expect me to teach in a foreign country, I mean why would they hire a foreign teacher, and depending on the location one that doesn't speak the language. I'd be.. not a good fit."

Stubby gives off a eye roll and writes again, 'japanese, you've learned it.'

She blushes, "I m-mean, only because I'm weird..."

(She literally learned Japanese because she liked anime and listening to the Subbed version. She got into the culture of Japan and actually researched it a lot. She got into it as a 13 year old and just kept up with it. Though she probably doesn't know correct language etiquette but she could easily get her point across. Her dream was to visit Japan one day, especially see the cherry blossoms bloom.)

'that is true, you are weird. But your a good weird. Being a bit different isn't bad. I wouldn't have stayed with you all these years if you were to weird for my taste. Your quirky.' Stubby writes with a small chuff to her.

Stubby likes his human, she can be a bit weird at times but he wouldn't change her for the world.

Amelia red eyes soften as she gives him a pet, "thanks buddy.. I'll think on it. There's a few hero schools in Japan, but I doubt they'd hire some weird American."

'dont doubt, it could happen.' he writes back

She keeps petting him and gives with a pretty smile, "okay, okay. Enough talking, let's what Mandolarian yeah? We still got the second season hehe."

Stubby purrs and drops the pen down on the note pad as Amelia grabs the remote and turns the TV on to watch a show with her best friend.