Chapter 18

Amelia is depressed, she was trying so hard to get along with Aizawa. She's a people pleaser she just wants him to like her, but the words suffocating get to her.

*What am I doing wrong..* she thinks to herself laying in bed with a oversized T-shirt which rides up just a tiny bit revealing her strawberry pattern undies. *I just don't get it.. I try and be friendly but not to friendly. I fill his coffee in the mornings, I even take in extra grading so he can catch his beauty sleep. I take over class for him sometimes too. I've been here for about a month and a half now, I thought we got over to being mean to the assistant teacher bit.*

She sighs and looks at the time on the clock, it reads 10 pm. She just keeps tossing and turning thinking about Aizawa and his words. "How dare he say that.. jerk, stupid jerk." She mumbles

A soft meow is heard before a plop of something jumping into the bed, it's Stubby, the outline of his white furred body is seeable in the moonlight feeding through the slightly open curtains. She finds herself already feeling better in the presence of her best friend, she pats a spot by her head. Stubby takes his spot curling up by her head.

"Stubby.. why can't people just... Like me? I mean I know I'm never going to be everyone's favorite but I'm just.." tears weld up a tad bit in her ruby eyes, "so.. tired. Tired of people giving me the cold shoulder, tired of trying to be happy all the time.. Im.. just tired."

The cats single yellow eye looks at her, his eye not in a slit but a nice circular pupil. His tail flicks slightly before it stretches and glides across her cheeks drying the tears as best as he could.

'the world has not been kind to you. I'm sorry.' Stubby wished he had telepathic abilities to convey what he wants to say but all he can do is listen and be there instead.

She sniffs and blinks her tears away giving him a smile, "I'm sorry I shouldn't be crying. I just need to think about the positives." Her voice cracks and catches but she calms down as she continues talking after a moment, as she lightly pets Stubs.

"I got Yamada, Kayama, and Maijima.. they're all really nice. But I'm.. afraid.." she says as she scoops up Stubby and holds him close to her, "I'm afraid they're just being friends with me because they feel like they have too. What if our friendship isn't friendship but just coworkers being nice? Being adult is so hard.. I haven't made a friend in such a long time I don't know who is a friend and who is just an acquaintance. As a child it seems so easy, you like the same toy, you sit next to each other, you become friends quickly.. granted those friendships don't always last but it was surprisingly how fast friendship happened... Now I.. can't tell anymore it's been to long."

Stubby begins purring hoping to calm her mind and soul on the matter.

'i'll always be your friend'. He wishes to convey.

She finds herself lulling herself to sleep by his purring, she continues to mumble about friends and saying sorrys. Though the last coherent words are, "I'm sorry Aizawa.. I'll.. try to.. be.. better.."

Stubby has to keep his claws in check as well as his purring going. He had a feeling Nezu's damn human was going to be a problem. How dare he harm her, how dare he say words that caused her such grief to pull at old memories. Can't he see through someone who is putting on a mask, trying to be happy and just go through the flow?

Stubby once certain Amelia is asleep removes himself and hops into the window seal, 'that human is a problem.. Nezu needs to keep him on a tighter leash..'

______________________
Thursday 7:15 AM

Amelia wakes up and gets dressed, she goes to the bathroom brushes her teeth. She brushes her hair putting it into a high bun today before throwing on her little red eye mask. Her mind then flashes back to yesterday after the police arrived and some reporters were arrested Maijima pulled her to the side.