Chapter 4 (Choosing a Familia)

The door to the faux throne room swung open, revealing Aleus with Lefiya trailing behind. 

The room was adorned with an understated elegance, and at the top of a few stairs sat Loki on a simple chair. Finn, the seemingly youthful man—who was actually a 40-year-old man—stood at Loki's side.

There was no one else in the room. Not even Riveria. 

Loki's cranberry eyes flickered with a playful spark as Aleus entered. 

Her gaze, in a subtle dance of shrewdness, assessed the newcomer. Aleus, in turn, met Loki's eyes with an unwavering stare, his own golden orbs barely hiding an unfathomable depth that lied on the other side. 

Finn exuded an air of nonchalance.  

The trio stood in the room, in an intangible form of a deadlock, trapped in a delicate balance of deviousness and intrigue.

Loki's lips curled into a sly smile. "To think you'd learn the whole language in just four days. Really impressive." Her tomboyish voice—oddly made Aleus remember Ibuki—carried a hint of amusement.

Aleus inclined his head in acknowledgment. 

"You flatter me, Goddess Loki. I had a good teacher; hence I never had a reason to not learn it as quickly as I did. Besides, I had subtle ideas about the difference in vocabulary in the Great Forest and Orario. It's not as grand as you make it sound."

The fluency in his tongue surprised even Lefiya, who was standing quietly right behind him. It was the first time he had talked outside the "seemingly" limited vocabulary of "Thank You" and "Sorry".

Finn observed the exchange with a silent passionateness, his gaze shifting between the two as if deciphering the dichotomy behind Aleus' words. 

Loki, however, catching up to his words, smiled. 

"Lefiya. Leave us alone." 

The sudden command from Loki startled her, however, without wasting much time, she turned around and left the room, leaving only Loki, Aleus and Finn in the room. 

'Hm. She did not tell Finn to leave. So, he is the actual one pulling the strings of the familia.'

"Feeling easy now?" Loki asked with a grin. 

"Much better." Aleus replied. 

"And how about the incident from a few days ago. Recovered?"

"I was taken good care of. Thanks for asking."

"So respectful, despite having zero respect." Loki looked down at him, deciphering his nature, slowly. "But I like ya!"

"Thanks?"

Finn smiled at Aleus, for some reason and then looked at Loki. "I would've loved to stay here and extend this talk, but everyone is on standby. We have to leave for an expedition. So how about we get to the main point?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know!" Loki threw her hands in the air. From the way she acted, it seemed like she was a spoiled kid in an adult's body. However, her true nature stayed buried underneath this facade, revealing itself only when it was absolutely necessary. "So, Aleus?"

"Yes?"

"Do you finally understand the importance of being a part of renowned familia and being blessed by a God?"

"I do."

"Have you decided which Familia to join? Or should I ask, are you ready to join my familia?" Loki asked, the playful demeanor ebbing away.