Chapter 14 (Ripples)

A surge of energy coursed through Aleus' fingertips, each strand of blue lightning dissolving into his skin like ethereal tendrils seeking refuge. 

The shockwaves of power pulsed through his body, jolting him awake from the abyss of unconsciousness. 

His eyelids fluttered, slowly parting to reveal eyes that glowed with an otherworldly radiance. Blinking away the remnants of a disorienting haze, Aleus took in his surroundings. 

The ambient glow of the light artefacts revealed an alley. 

The air held a peculiar scent, a blend of ozone and the indefinable aroma of latent power. Yet, the most immediate threat pressed against his neck—a cold, hard object that demanded his attention.

As his fingers twitched, he reached out for it, slowly removing it. Bringing it close to his face, a wave of relief washed over him. 

As his senses gradually returned, Aleus became acutely aware of the rough texture against his back, the abrasive embrace of a cold, stone wall. 

The air around him crackled with residual energy, the occasional crackle and pop helping him become aware of his surroundings.

Picking the object pressing perniciously against his neck, he tapped it on his head, mumbling something underneath his breath. A small sheen of green light enveloped him, slowly healing all of his wounds. 

Once he was done, something clicked in his mind. 

"I don't remember suffering from this many wounds..." His own words felt like a distant rumble in his mind. Deciding not to make himself suffer any longer, he closed his mouth and used Riveria's staff as a support to stand up.

He looked up at the sky and then down at his shadow as he walked out of the alley.

'An hour...? It feels much longer.'

"...ALEUS!!" A voice... concerned yet filled with rage spoke from behind him. Before he could turn around, a human projectile crashed into him. Or rather an elven projectile. He didn't need to look back. He could recognise the voice clearly.

"Lefiya..." He groaned, the lingering sensation of pain in his ribs still persistent. But it was strange. Since he couldn't remember any damage to his ribs, only around his solar plexus. While the possibility existed that the force was so much that it effected the ribs as well—since on average they're only 2-3 inches away—that was not the case, "...can you please get off me? I can't breathe."

"Oh...!" Realising how she had been sitting right over him, she quickly got away, allowing Aleus some breathing room. "Sorry... where were you?"

"I was..." Aleus paused. Something felt wrong. She was wearing the same clothes but...

"...you changed your hairstyle."

"Well of course I did."

Something felt off. 

"How long were you looking for me?"

Lefiya tilted her head to the side. "It has been a whole day. There was a commotion. I ran after you, but when I reached at the spot where the last time you were spotted, there was nothing other than a huge hole in the road and an unconscious captain of Apollo Familia. I left him there because I didn't know at that time..." Her fingers clutched together, "...he attacked you, right?"

Aleus groaned, standing up. 

"Maybe."

Lefiya stood as well. Extending her hand, she placed it over Aleus' face. "Are you hurt? There's so much blood over you."