Chapter 11 (Last Straw)

The echoes of metal clanging against metal filled the air.

Relentless, high-pitched bangs came from all directions at once.

A deluge of sparks accompanied each one, momentary light flashing throughout the room with every impact.

Falling hammers, masculine smiths wiping away rivers of sweat, the grunts and groans of their labour—everything filled the air in an oddly synced tapestry.

This was a workshop through and through. Bright red flames burned at fever pitch within four massive forges, one on each wall, the heat exuding from their openings stifling, making an ordinary person to struggle with every breath.

A young pallum girl, most likely a student of the trade, hurriedly worked her way through the animal people and dwarves with her arms full of firewood and extra tools.

"ROT IN HELL, YOU FILTHY AMAZOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!"

Aleus winced, the ear-splitting scream almost exploding his eardrums as he took a step to the side. After the small encounter with Hermes, Aleus reunited with Ais, as the two of them continued their walk, with Ais showing him around the city.

"First time here?" Ais asked, looking at Aleus from the corner of her eye.

"Yeah. I haven't come to the general market with Riveria. The only time I left the manor was for dinner, or when I want to get some breakfast." Aleus answered, looking around, his eyes somewhat glimmering as he saw people of even diverse races, going about in smithies and other shops.

"Not even with Lefiya?"

"Hm? 'Even' with Lefiya?" He put a subtle emphasis on the "even" part.

Ais tilted her head in meek confusion, her face impassive. "Are you not... close?"

"Close? I don't think that is a term that I would use. More like I am more familiar with her due to us studying together with Riveria. Maybe that gave the impression we are close?" Aleus pondered over Ais' statement only for a small moment.

"Perhaps." Ais nodded, looking back in a straight line. "This is the region where weapons are made." She started explaining.

"I can tell."

"Want to meet the person who makes the weapons for me?" Ais asked, although the look on her face was a bit depressed and crestfallen.

"Sure..." Aleus' voice trailed off, noticing the unusual tone.

Five large men were hard at work in a corner of the workshop, just around the stone road corner, repeatedly striking a large chunk of adamantine.

Bringing down hammer after hammer that looked powerful enough to crush a large-category monster's head in one blow, they shaped the extremely stubborn metal to their will, eliminating the impurities.

All the smiths had acquired the Advanced Ability "Forge," which allowed them to instill special characteristics in their work.

The head of each hammer glowed with a soft red light—not unlike Magic—as they breathed steadily and transformed the ore in front of them into a weapon that would become something far superior to the rest.

*Click*

An unsettling voice ringed inside Aleus' mind, almost as if a loud gong had gone off. It was different than usual, almost as if a large number of the clicks had formed together to form one consistent, collective click, almost distorting his senses.

"Are you...ok?"

"Yeah. Too excited to see the weapons." Aleus replied.

Ais narrowed her eyes, ever so slightly, before humming and continuing on her path, with Aleus following closely.