Chapter 13 (Cup of Tea)

"Now, if you would, will you kindly remind me what you were doing on 『Floor 7』 ?"

"Uh... what else do people do in a dungeon?"

Currently, amongst the walls one of the separate small rooms inside the guild, the young High Elf sat accused in a chair, like a criminal, just across the table from his supervisor, Rose. She had her arms folder beneath her supple bosoms, her face reflecting a living sense of agitation. 

"People go in dungeon to hunt, yes, but there are certain rules placed in order for reckless, mindless individuals like you, so they don't lose their life. What were you even thinking going down there? To go down there, you must at least have your stats in—"

"All of my stats are in S Rank."

"That is a lie."

"Of course." Aleus looked up, seeing a crestfallen look on her face. "Yeah. Sorry."

Rose heaved out a heavy sigh. 

"It is not about apology. You adventurers..." Another deep, heavy sigh escaped her lips, "...it seems like nothing to you. You go in there and lose your life, and that is the end for you. But there is lot more to your deaths. People like us—me—who send you and are responsible for you suffer the most." She spoke, her voice growing heavy. 

"It is not your fault." Aleus replied, his back against the chair as his arms lazily dangled to the side, "No one owns anyone. Life and the way it is lived is solely up to one's will and discretion. If someone dies, it is because they were too weak to begin with. If they died due to going lower quickly, it means they were too incompetent and didn't knew their own limitations. One reaps what they sow." Aleus looked up into her eyes, "You are reaping the bad fruits of others."

"..." Her fingers balled into a fist, the words striking like a hammer on the gong that was her heart. 

"With all that said and done, can you please not inform my sister?" 

Suddenly, the slight compassion that formed in her heart vanished. "Haah...seriously. Fine. But only this time. Next time you ever go down there, you will talk to me."

"Ok."

Standing up, Rose took out a small pouch with a few coins. "Here is your share from today's dive. A boy named Bell Cranel left it here." She explained and then took out another pouch that was around three times as heavy as the previous one. "And this is the last installment from your Jack Bird item drop. With this, all the money should be transferred to you."

Aleus opened the bag and looked inside, the pouch filled with lustrous currency. Taking around a quarter of the coins, he put them in the smaller one and pushed the bag with bigger portion towards Rose. 

"What?"

"A compensation for putting up with me." 

"I can't accept i--"

"Eina?" Aleus looked over her shoulder. 

"Where?" As Rose looked back, the wind whooshed. She looked back with a lightning speed, but the window was already open, and Aleus had disappeared, leaving the bag of gold behind. "Geez... what a troublesome kid."

She muttered under her breath, a barely perceptible smile dancing like a lone dandelion on the corner of her lips. 

Outside, Aleus landed safely below and melded in with the crowd of people, walking here and there and minding their own business. Since he was around the Guild, there were a few good marketplaces around it. 

His sword was yet to be made, however, there were other things he could do in the meantime. Following the crowd, he went into a clothing market, with the intent to buy some new clothes for himself now that he had enough clothes.