Chapter 19 (Courtier's Dilemma)

Courtier's dilemma. 

The feeling of having no power over people and events is "generally" un-bearable—when one feels helpless, they feel miserable. Not a pleasant feeling.

No one wants less power; everyone wants more. 

In the practical world, however, it is dangerous to seem too power hungry, to be overt with power moves. One has to seem fair and decent. So, there is a debilitating need to be subtle. 

Congenial yet cunning, democratic yet devious.

This game of perpetual duplicity closely mirrors the power dynamics observed not only in the ancient aristocratic courts but in my old world, and even now, in this world—Gekai. 

Throughout history, a court typically coalesced around the reigning figure, be it a king, queen, emperor, or leader. 

The courtiers inhabiting this social sphere found themselves in a particularly delicate position. 

Their primary duty was to serve their masters, but overt attempts to curry favor were perilous—any conspicuous flattery risked drawing the ire of fellow courtiers who were quick to undermine such efforts. 

Successful courtiers, adept at subtlety, had to navigate the delicate balance of winning their master's favor without provoking jealousy and animosity from their peers, who were perpetually scheming to outmaneuver one another.

Meanwhile the court was supposed to represent the height of civilisation and refinement. 

Violent or overt power moves were frowned upon; courtiers would work silently and secretly against any among them who used force. 

This was the courtier's dilemma: While appearing the very paragon of elegance, they had to outwit and thwart their own opponents in the subtlest of ways. 

The successful courtier learned over time to make all of his moves indirect; if he stabbed an opponent in the back, it was with a velvet glove on his hand and the sweetest of smiles on his face. 

Instead of using coercion or outright treachery, the perfect courtier got his way through seduction, charm, deception, and subtle strategy, always planning several moves ahead. 

Life in the court was a never-ending game that re- quired constant vigilance and tactical thinking. 

It was civilized war.

Yes. That is the phase my life has entered into now. 

A civilized war. 

I face a peculiarly similar paradox to that of the courtier. However, the limitation is the Familia I am in. According to them, everything must appear civilized, decent, democratic, and fair. 

But if we play by those rules too strictly, if we take them too literally, it won't be long before the Familia would be crushed by those around us who are not so foolish. 

As the saying by Niccolò Machiavelli goes, "Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good." 

True Justice. Equality.

No such thing ever existed. It might bite Loki Familia in the back in the near future. 

But I will not be a part of it. Losing is despicable, after all. 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(FLASHBACK)

"H-He won..." 

The words left Bell's lips as he watched Aleus leave the arena, followed by an uproar of dissatisfied and discombobulated cries from everyone who had lost their bets. Meanwhile, the employees Anya, Chloe and Luniore jumped up in joy.