09 ☆ take a step back

๑ YOU ARE ACTING JUST LIKE THE PERSON EVERYONE SAYS YOU ARE

YOU ARE ACTING JUST LIKE
THE PERSON EVERYONE SAYS YOU ARE.

take a step back chapter 09

I close the door behind me, hearing Sorin's soft snores

I close the door behind me, hearing Sorin's soft snores. She passed out drunk, and thankfully, with a little bit of help, before she slept soundly, I found her apartment. Now, surrounded by the items and appeal of a middle-class girl, my eyes wander. I take a step forward, looking at the small basket of fruit on her dining table. I pick up the apple, blemishes of dark spots and dots along its skin. I put it down and grab the pear, the same discoloration, and patches on it as well.

I look at her walls, painted in uneven white with uneven markings. My hands fiddle with each other, thoughts succumbing to something that only a wealthy woman would say, and suppressing it deep within. I didn't want to say things that I'd eventually regret thinking, especially if I was the one intruding on someone else's life. I may be stuck-up, I admit, but I don't think I'd be that ignorant.

Oh, that reminds me, oddly, that I need to make sure she gets up early tomorrow. We have a meeting with our demanding boss, so that means despite her getting drunk, she'll have to suffer. She must have hangover medicine somewhere in here, right?

I rummage through the tiny kitchen, searching for even a packet of tea or even a sign of something to consume, but nothing can be found. Finally, I check the fridge, opening it to find some items to make tea with. Setting it on Sorin's dining table, I go back to close the refrigerator, stopping at the sight of a family photo. It looks like Sorin with her mom, dad, and older brother, her toothless, wide smile creating a grin on my face.

Sorin was quite cute. As I place it in my hands, it reminds me of what it was like to be a child. She acted like someone I could get close to, and upon closer inspection of the photo, looked like someone I'd have a liking for. But, I realize it all too quickly–placing the picture back on the magnet, I'm caught by my feelings.

I was trying to make a friend out of Sorin, forgetting this was the first time we'd ever bonded. I guess the loneliness took over for a moment. I scoff at myself in the faint vision of her kitchen window, shaking my head. "There you go again, Sora, making something out of nothing," I reprimand, huffing. "You're still hung up, aren't you? It's okay, you have Yanxi... hopefully."