7:06 p.m. (part 18)

I stood perfectly still, eyes wide, frozen in shock.

Across the screen, one word typed itself over and over.

LibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibrary LibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibrary LibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibraryLibrary….

Arianna was panicking. “What is it doing?! Does it mean music library?! I do this all the time- this never happens! I just downloaded a song from Jordyn yesterday and it didn’t do this! It didn’t do this last time I went to Jacobs! Oh no, he’s gonna kill me!

My head whipped around to look at her, interrupting her rambling. “What song?”

“What do you mean?”

“What song did you download from me?” I asked warily.

“Uhh…..the one you sent me last night, on messenger. You were right, it was a good song.” She said awkwardly.

I tried to act as if I knew what she meant, though inside I was scared half to death. “Oh yeah…”

Suddenly, the screen stopped typing. The screen flickered for a few heartstopping moments, the text fighting for claim over the computer. But suddenly, it was overpowered. In its place was a security scan.

Arianna let out a sigh of relief. “I was wondering when that thing was gonna kick in…he has an awesome security system, with his dad’s work and all. I think we’re okay now.”

I nodded warily. I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible. I had to go to the library, for my sake and everyone elses. So I made an excuse. “Yeah…but…I think I’m gonna go…” I said, starting to turn. “I still feel kinda sick…”

Lila looked concerned. “Don’t you need a ride home?” she asked.

I shook my head. “No, I don’t want to make you have to leave…my house isn’t that far from here.”

Lila and Arianna shook their heads. “No, your house is a 30 minute walk.” Arianna said accusingly. I just shrugged.

 “I’ll take her home and come back so you can stay Arianna.” Said Lila. Arianna hesitated.

“I don’t want to make any trouble….”

But Lila interrupted. “No, really. It’s fine.”

Arianna thought about it for a second before nodding. “Okay then. Hope you feel better soon Jordyn.” She said, smiling a bit sadly at me. “Wish you could stay.”

I shrugged and smiled back. “It’s okay. See you in school!” I waved lightly before turning and following Lila out the door.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was in the car with Lila, I learned a few things about her. She was born and raised in Singapore and had only been out of it a handful of times. It was her first time in the states.  She seemed very nice, and I actually was looking forward to her being here for the next few months. Maybe I would make a new friend.

As she turned onto the street of the library, I told her to slow down. She slowed the car down to a standstill, looking around at the library, shops, and countless restaurants curiously.  “You live here?” she asked.

I shook my head. “No, I live just down the street, I can walk from here.” I said, starting to open the car door. She shook her head.

“No, really I can drive you. It’s no trouble if it’s just down the street!”

I just shrugged. “Well, yeah, but I kinda wanted to get something from that…uh…that shop down there.” I said, pointing towards a small shop with a colorful display window.

“Okay, if you’re sure. I’ll see you around Jordyn.” She said, giving me a big smile.

I returned the smile gladly. “I had fun tonight. Thank you for driving me!”

Then I turned, and walked down the street.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lila had stayed in the car until I had reached the shop, bless her. It was kind of late, but this little downtown area had no crime. She really shouldn’t have worried.

I was looking at the little trinkets and necklaces absently, thinking about Lila. I felt bad lying to her. My house really was blocks away. Walking home wouldn’t be too terrible though.

A young worker came up to me, smiling. “Hello ma’am, are you finding everything alright?” she asked cheerfully.

“Yes, thank you.” I said, giving a small smile.

“Okay then! Just wanted to let you know, we are going to be closing in about 10 minutes.”

I nodded. “Thank you. I won’t be long, I promise.” I continued to feign interest to be polite, but inside I was yearning to run across the street to the library. I pulled out my phone, only to find no texts from Stacey.

After walking around for about five minutes, I decided I had waited long enough. I opened the door, the shop bells jingling, and walked out, headed in the direction of the library. I walked across the street cautiously, the shops turning off their lights and closing for the night. The streets were dimly lit with streetlights. I walked up the steps of the library, reaching for the doorknob. It only took me a second to realize that they were locked.

There I stood, at the front steps, only to find the doors locked. I had thought Stacey would take care of that, but of course, here I was, dying of anxiety and locked out.

The huge doors mocked me, standing there, unmoving. The library was one of the largest buildings here, and ironically, one of the least used. Sure, students came for books to use for research papers, but only did so when the absolutely had to. Otherwise, the library was almost deserted.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed in my pocket, startling me momentarily. I quickly reached into my purse, reading the text message.

Did you ever think of trying the back?”

I walked to the side of the building, peering into the darkness until I finally found the back door. I grabbed the doorknob, and pushed.

The door swung open, creaking eerily. I stepped forward, into the dark library. She had said the middle of the library…

My footsteps echoed in the darkness as I walked blindly, trying to find the location she had said to go to. I had just exited an isle of books, when I noticed a faint light to the left of me. I followed it, weaving through the rows upon rows of bookcases.

Then, the bookcases stopped. I had reached the computers.

One solitary computer was turned on, eerily glowing into the darkness. I approached it slowly, to find the messenger. I was already signed in, and a chat was already opened.

StaceyC: Glad you could make it, Jordyn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Okay I knowwww its kinda overdue but heres part 18!!!  I'm so sorry you had to wait for this after such a cliffhanger but hey! Here it is! I know this is also sort of a cliffy but...its what I do! : P sorry! Well at least you know whats there ahahaha....I promise to try to update a bit quicker this time.

Just wanted to say thank you to all my fans, new and old, :) I have been recieving so much support lately. Dont forget to vote and spread the word! Im getting pretty hopeful for the Watty Awards :D