7:06 p.m. (part 21)

I walked down the long hallway, to be led into a small room with two chairs and a table. It was almost as if I was in a crime show- and I was the suspect.

I pulled back my chair and sat down, folding my hands on the table.

“Now, let’s begin Ms. Jordyn. Why were you in the library in the first place?” asked the police officer, taking his seat.

I didn’t say a word.

“This is a simple question. Why were you there?”

I simply sat there.

“Don’t make this harder than it is. Now I’m going to ask you again, why were you in the libr-“

“Don’t I have a right to remain silent?” I snapped.

He glared at me. “Don’t you be smart with me young lady. This attitude isn’t helping you in any way- with either case.”

I couldn’t help but feel anger boil up inside me. “Oh, you mean the case in which my best friend was murdered!? The case in which you think I’m somehow involved in?!”

He continued to glare. “We have plenty of reasons to think so. And this is just adding to them.” He said smugly. “So why don’t you tell us why you were there?”

“I have my reasons. Next question.” 

He sighed, shaking his head. “Fine then. Why did the janitor see the name “Stacey” opened up on a messenger chat?”

I thought for a split second. Trying hard not to stutter, I answered. “I was opening up my messenger to ask my friend about something…and I…I accidently clicked on her name.”

Narrowing his eyes, he leaned forward. “A likely story. What were you asking your friend? And who was this friend?”

“I would prefer not to give out names….I don’t want to get my friend involved. She had nothing to do with it. I was asking her about a…a school test. I didn’t know if we had one on Monday.”

That had been a terrible lie, and I knew it. He wasn’t buying it.

“Mhmm….and why couldn’t you simply call this friend?” he asked.

 My palms were getting sweaty, and I felt nauseous. “Her…her phone line is out.”

“And why is that? There weren’t any storms to blow out the power lines were there?”

“She um…she…she’s getting a new phone service installed.” My voice broke mid-sentence, and I knew I was done for. He was suspicious, and he knew something was going on. I wiped my palms on my jeans, licking my lips nervously.

The police officer was getting angry. “Why don’t you stop with the lies and simply tell us the truth young lady!? Why is this so difficult? You’re only making it harder for everyone! Me, your mother, your friends, and YOU.  I suggest you start talking.”

My heart was racing, and tears were starting to form in my eyes. “I um….I…”

“You what?” he demanded.

“I was…I wa—“

We were interrupted by the door opening, and another officer putting his head in.

“What is it Dave?! I’m interviewing her right now.” Snapped the officer sitting in front of me.

“Her therapist is here. She said she can help, and judging by what we can hear in there, you need all the help you can get.” He said.