7:06 p.m. (part 31)

Eagerly, I scrambled down the ladder and practically sprinted towards the garage door. Freedom! Finally, I was bound by no one, nothing! I couldn’t wait for Stacey to finally be free of this place as well.

“Miss! Where are you going?” called the police man.

“Down to the basement! Leo was supposed to hide her in the closet,” I yelled back, making my way through the house. I tried to remember the path here. I ran across the tan carpet, through the kitchen, past the long red couch…

“Slow down, please!” he yelled, catching up to me easily and grabbing my arm.  “Where is this ‘Leo’?”

I stopped suddenly, looking at him in surprise. “You don’t know? He was the other man who captured us…” I stopped mid-sentence, noticing the confusion on the man’s face.  “Oh no…he didn’t escape did he?” I asked, now frantic. Was he downstairs, with Stacey?

I watched as the policeman radioed the man outside of the house. They talked for about a minute, before he turned back to me. “The man wasn’t spotted…which means he is probably still in this house. Show me the basement, but let me lead, okay?”

I nodded nervously, my excitement now muddled by fear. Quietly, I walked past the thin curtains with the police car outside, and pointed to the basement door.

“There,” I whispered.

He nodded, pulling his gun out of its holster.

“Listen…maybe you should go outside and sit in the squad car,” he said, looking me over in concern. I could imagine I looked pretty beat up…but it was nothing compared to Stacey.

I shook my head when he was already in midsentence. “No, no way, not after all this,” I protested.

He opened his mouth to try to convince me otherwise, but I interrupted him again.

“No. The man is out there, remember?” I said. I mostly cared about Stacey, but I most certainly did not want to sit in a squad car with my captor in the backseat.

He sighed, deliberating.

“Ok…how about this. You stay up here, and do not move unless I give you the okay,” he said seriously.

I thought about it for a moment, before deciding it was probably the best option. But if I really needed to go down there, I would, and I wasn’t going to be stopped.

“Fine,” I said, backing away from the door. I watched silently, fear engulfing me once again. He slowly turned the metal knob, opening the door with an eerie creak. He then placed a foot on the first stair, and began his descent.

I watched, eyes wide, as he reached the bottom, pointing his gun in front of him as he walked. After a few footsteps, I heard a voice.

“Oh…oh god! No, please…I…I didn’t mean to…”

It belonged to Leo. His voice was riddled with fear and panic, full of desperation.

“I didn’t…I never intended to…” he said, struggling for words.

There was a slight pause, until the police officer broke the silence. At that moment, I heard the words that would forever replay in my mind.

“Sir, you are under arrest for the murder of Stacey Marone.”

A scream ripped through me, full of anger, fear, confusion, and rage. He said murder...murder! That meant…she was…he had…

I ran down the stairs in fury, my hair whipping around my face as I searched for my friend, and the man who killed her.

Once I reached the bottom of the stairs, I saw a sight that would forever be seared into my mind. There, in front of the dirty couch where she had slept for all these weeks, lay Stacey in a pool of blood. Her face was turned away from me, but her body lay crumpled and defeated. The tan carpet was stained a brilliant crimson, and above her stood Leo, a knife in his hand. His face was full of shock, in disbelief of what he had done.

Once again, I let out a scream of pure rage. Tears poured down my face as I stared at the man who had ruined my life, and ended Stacey’s.

“You! YOU!” I yelled, lunging for him.

I was quickly stopped by the officer, who pushed me back.

“Miss, please," he said, trying to remain calm. I only continued to struggle. "MISS! You have to stop!” he yelled, holding me back as I desperately tried to escape his grasp. In the midst of my struggling, I heard Leo pleading.

“I…I swear I never meant to kill her! I panicked! The doorbell rang, and…she said she was going to scream,” I heard him say, his voice reduced to a whimper.

In a matter of seconds, more officers came down the stairs, holding me back. Leo stood there, still frozen in shock from what he had done. One of the officers walked over to Leo, reading him his rights and putting him in handcuffs.

I was having trouble processing everything that was happening around me. My vision was blurred by tears, my voice hoarse from screams and yelling.

The last thing I remembered was being taken up the stairs, and looking below as the policemen kneeled beside my best friend’s body.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N                  

:(

Yeah....she is dead. :( Sorry about that guys.

As for the rest of the book, after this there will either be one more chapter and an epilogue, or just an epilogue depending on the time I have left. The deadline for the WA is on the 30th!! VOTE VOTE VOTE! :D

Thank you all for your support, votes, reads, and comments. <3 You're such great fans!!!

Read, vote, comment, enjoy!!!

~InspireMe~