7:06 p.m. (part 22)

I shot out of my chair, striding over to the camera. “I see you!!!” I yelled out, my voice wavering.

I was absolutely furious. “You said it was off…I…I’ll get a lawyer!” I said, heart pounding. “I’ll sue! I’ll get mysel-“

Ms. Cady had been watching my fit in shock. Quietly, she interrupted me. “Jordyn…what if it isn’t the police.” She said, eyes wide.

I stopped yelling, turning around to face her.

What if. What if it was Stacey and not the police? What if it was actually Stacey trying to hack in?

Suddenly, the door burst open, a police officer coming in. “We need you to come here right now.” He said gruffly, taking my arm and leading me down the hallway. Ms. Cady followed silently. We arrived back at the room I had been interviewed in earlier, and I sat down, glaring at them.

“Did you turn it on?” I asked.

He shook his head. “No…well…I’m not sure what happened exactly.  Our security system picked up a bug in the camera security. We weren’t sure what it was, but the cameras all became active, including the one in your room. We tapped in while we were trying to get rid of the bug…and…”

My heart stopped. “How much did you hear?”

“Well…mostly all of it.” He said a bit shamefully. “And now that we know…we would like to launch a full investigation. We have the laptop, we can investigate.” He said, waiting for my reaction.

“You do know why the cameras most likely turned on then, correct?” I asked.

He nodded solemnly. “Yes. The hacker. We are a bit worried you are going to be targeted now that you have told us, so we are going to have you watched. A cop will park outside your house, just to be safe.”

“Okay…but I keep thinking…what if Stacey is still alive? What if she gets hurt because I did something wrong?” I asked fearfully.

He shook his head. “Miss, I highly doubt that Stacey is doing all this. There is no way she could do something so advanced. She may be alive, but let us handle this, please. “

I thought about it for a moment. I could let it be in their hands. Let it be THEIR problem. They wouldn’t take no for an answer, I knew.  “Ok…but…you have to keep me updated. No hiding anything. Even if it scares me. Deal?” I asked, holding out my hand.

He nodded. “Fair enough.”

About 20 minutes later, I was back home, with no laptop. The police car was outside. I kicked off my shoes, going up to my room. My mother was still at the police station, though she wanted to come home with me, she needed to be filled in on everything. And I didn’t want to stay and see her reaction. So the cop had given me a ride home.

I walked over to the family computer, unplugging it like the cop had instructed me to. Suddenly, I heard a beep from my pocket.

It was a text message from Stacey.

Forgetting something? I can still text you, or better yet, call you. I've decided to be off schedule.

I stared at it wide eyed. It wasnt just 7:06 p.m. anymore. She is contacting me whenever she wishes now. But I wasn’t going to let her terrorize me again. I started to shut off my phone, but another text came.

I wouldn’t shut this off if I were you.

I hesitated, before taking my finger off the power button.

Are you going to answer me?

I thought about it, before typing a message.

What do you want?

I waited, that same old feeling of mixed adrenaline and fear coursing through me.

Your cooperation.

Angrily, I replied.

Cooperation? I’ve been cooperating with you almost the whole time you’ve done this to me. What do you want now? 

I want you to meet me somewhere.

My heart stopped. I couldn’t. It….it was too dangerous. I had been stupid enough to do all this alone, and I wasn’t going to make another stupid move. It was just too dangerous.

No. There is no way. I sent the text.

She replied almost immediately.

Really? Because I think you might want to reconsider. Your mother…she isn’t with you, now is she? You think I don’t know where she is?

I froze in shock. Was she…threatening me? The safety of my mother?

You couldn’t get to her. She’s in a police station! I typed, trying to reassure myself.

I have my ways. If you care about your mother, you will go to the park at the middle school as soon as possible. And you won’t tell the police officer.

I didn’t know what to respond. I sat down on the choice in a daze, shocked and scared. What should I do? Should I risk my mothers safety…or ensure my own?

The phone beeped again.

I see you need time to think. I’m giving you one hour. Decide soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: .....sorry. I HAD TOOOOO....it was right there! A PERFECT CLIFFHANGER! I couldn't resist the temptation!!! Come on, would it really be a chapter without a cliffy? xD So sorry this chapter took forever. I was on vacation. I stayed up late writing this actually, I have to get up EARLY tomorrow...I should be in bed. But I felt guilty and I needed to upload. :)

Anyways, I hope you all are enjoying my story. The WattyAwards are going well, Ive stayed in the top 500 mainly for the WattyAwards each upload. Im staying pretty high up in the Mystery/Suspense category also. PLEASE dont forget to vote, I need all the help I can get!!! I know Im such a mean person with these cliffhangers....but I have to keep up the SUSPENSE! I just want to thank you all for being so patient with me and for reading and voting and of course FANNING! Ive been getting so many new fans lately, and Im grateful to each and every one of them, indcluding the old ones. :)

The next chapter will be LONGGGG....or at least, long for me. ;) I should upload late next week. :)

Thank you so much you guys!