《Nerdy Red Pt.1》

/When I became Nerdy/

《RYLAN》
~~

There's always that one moment in high school that changes your life.

Whether it's for good, or for bad.

I guess my moment was good and bad.

~

My best friend was leaving.

When she told me I have to admit, I was shocked. I mean Sky and I have been best friends since fourth grade. How could she leave a day before our senior year?

I mean, I couldn't blame her. It wasn't her fault. It was her parents. Who were they to take her away, when she only has one year left of high school? She told me if she'd have it her way, she'd definitely stay. Finish out school here, go to college here, live here, get married, and have children here.

We had plans, big plans. We were both going to go Indiana State. We were going to meet our future husbands, be each other's bridemaids. Get married the same week. Then have kids. They'd be best friends too. Of course those were plans we made when we were fifteen. Of course our plans wouldn't actually work out like that. But you get the point. We were suppose to be that rare pair of friends. One's that stayed friends for life. I mean, I had hoped that we'd be friends for life, but lets be realistic. We're going to be 990.94 miles away from each other. I'm going to lose my best friend.
~~

Sky told me the day after our last day as juniors.

We were at the ice cream place in town, our favorite place. It was the only place we hung out together besides each other's houses.

Sky's face was beet red. Her eyes were all teary. I had that sixth sense that you get when you're friends with someone for a long time. The 'something's very wrong' sense.

"Sky," I started. "What's wrong?" At that moment she was done with her strawberry ice cream. I'd soon be done with mine too. She pulled her gaze away from me.

"Sky." I pushed her to go on and tell me.

"Ry," she paused, sadness striking her voice. "There is no easy way for me to tell you this. I'm just going to say it. We're moving."

"Oh, you're getting a new house? Where at?" I was excited. I knew her parents were looking for a new house. I knew they needed a new house. But I expected them to get one inside of our little town.

"No Ry, you don't get it. We're moving to Texas." I don't know how long we sat there in complete silence. I was emotionless, for a second I thought she was joking.Like she would jump up and scream, April fool's Rylan! But by the way she wasn't looking at me. I could tell, she wasn't joking.

My heart felt like it was going to explode. So many things ran through my head.

Mainly, how was I going to survive my senior year?
~~

I became Nerdy Red in ninth grade. Fourth period yearbook class.

Of course I knew Parker Scott. Everyone knows Parker Scott, he was the "bad boy" of our school. He apparently knew everybody too. Except for me, not that it suprised me. I was the invisible girl at my school. I just didn't fit in like everyone else did. While everybody was at parties. I was at home, writing, drawing, and reading. Most of the time I just hung out with Sky. That's the way I liked it though. I didn't want to be in the "spotlight". I rather be in the shadows. Being in the spotlight looked like to much pressure. So when Parker sat next to me on the first day of school, and said, "are you new here?" I wasn't suprised. Even though I had been going to the same school with him, in the same grade since kindergarten.

"No." I told him bluntly. I was also wondering why Mr.Parker Scott was talking to me. Or sitting next to me. Not to sound prude or anything. I didn't mind him sitting next to me. It was just the fact that I was just Rylan Taylor. I wasn't somebody. I didn't wear makeup, I didn't show my body off like other girls did. I was the girl with a guys name, the girl in the shadows. And Parker Scott, he sat next to me.

"Oh, sorry." Is what he said next. Even though I knew he wasn't sorry.

"W-why are you sitting here?" It came out a little meaner than I meant it to. I watched him as he wrote something down in his agenda. Probably something I needed to be writing down too. His hair was up in that popular fohawk. The shirt he had was tight enough to show off his formed biceps. Yeah... I really should of stopped staring at him. He was not mine to stare at.

He looked over at me. His bright green eyes immediately captivated me.

"Um, you look like the only not nerd in this class." Is what he responded with.

"That's rude." Is what fell out of my mouth before I could stop it. All well, it was rude. But on the other hand... Parker Scott said I wasn't a nerd! But sadly, I was a nerd. A big one at that.

"It's true. It's not that I don't like the nerds. But they're annoying sometimes, with all their nerdy stuff." He grins at himself, going back to his agenda.

Again, rude. I try and ignore everything he said.

"I'm nerdy." When I say it he looks back at me. "Really, you just don't know me."

He chuckled. "Well from now on. You're going to be Nerdy Red. My yearbook partner."

Wait, what? That wasn't supposed to happen. Not a nickname already, not yearbook partners. Curse my red hair and all the names that come with it. Geesh.

He didn't even know my real name. But anyways, that's how I became Nerdy Red. In ninth, and tenth grade it was just a nickname Parker used. The beginning of eleventh grade it spread a little. Even the people in the spotlight called me "Nerdy Red". But by the end of eleventh grade everyone knew me as Nerdy Red. Nobody seemed to know my real name. All thanks to Parker Scott.
~~

/^/^/^/

Word count: 1029

Date published: 6/8/16

/^/^/^/

Quick Authors Note:

To all the people reading:
I hope you enjoy!!! Thank you for taking the time to read it 💞